Bouncy Backup ASI

FlyingMonkey

Hey all...

I need to confirm this is a problem, but the weather here has not cooperated with flying for a couple of weeks...

Last flight I took, I looked at the backup airpseed indicator while doing a WOT run, and noticed it was "bouncing" with a fairly high frequency (maybe 2 bounces per second) in about a 20 knot speed range, not reading a steady number. The primary Dynon display was steady, I was going about 124 knots indicated. I didn't think to look at it later after I slowed down, so I can only say for sure this happens at the higher end of the speed range, but at that speed it's not usable.

Is my backup ASI giving up the ghost, and if so can it be repaired or should i just replace it?

It shouldn't bounce around. It could be two things.

Your gauge needs to be sent in? They usually take a look and or fix it for about $30.

It could also be a leak in the tubing or the connector is loose where it splits to that particular gauge. Pull the panel and tighten the fittings and look for any tubing leaks. I don't suspect the entire tube system because the Dynon is steady.

Rule out the easy things first and start at "A" and work through b, c, d and e.

Archived