FD and Rotax registration

I have received a call about an issue that seems to be growing.

When you buy a used CT you MUST register it with FD and Rotax with all your personal info. No it's not a legal requirement, but one of the smartest ones. They need name, address, phone and email , tail number and serial number.

This is so if they need to do a mail out or call for re-calls, dangerous equipment, service notifications, ect.... they have a way to contact you. This is important so if you need to file an equipment change or major alteration form.

This is very important so if you have not done this with both organizations you should do it ASAP.

When you buy new FD takes care of all this. When you sell their responsibility ends to chase you down and yours starts because they would never know who had the plane the second, third or forth time. FD registers both Rotax and their plane when new. When it goes to new owners they have to be notified separately. Rotax and FD are separate companies. You would send your info to FDUSA and then call or send your info to your nearest Rotax distributor.

It's the system we have.

There may be something out a little more official in a few days. I was just trying to get out in front of the issue a little.

The FAA holds the airplane manufacturer responsible for all safety notices and for keeping the list of owners up to date. They have to have an organization set up to keep track of owners for ten years after they go out of business. Rotax is not a light sport manufacturer and does not fall under the light sport law. CTLSi, do you know who the regulation of light sport falls immediately under? (You usually don't bother to respond, do you?)

Having said that, when I do an annual, as an LSRM-A I need to look at Rotax because FD says so. I am not bound to signing up with Rotax. FD however must notify me of Rotax safety issues as we have seen. I have also been told by Dynon that FD, not Dynon, determines the updates for the Dynon units on FD planes, which is consistent with light sport rules.

If I pull a Jabiru 3300 out of my E-LSA Van RV12 and put a Rotax in it, who is responsible for keeping things up to date?

When I take my CTSW with D120 from SLSA to ELSA and replace the D120 with a Skyview, whom do I deal with on an update and who is responsible for telling me when an important update is coming?

If you are the first time new plane buyer from FD they do both registrations and your on the hook for all the other warranties to send in, i.e. avionics.

Once you sell the plane FD is no longer responsible to track you because they won't even know the plane was sold.

FD already does post any bulletins from most of their suppliers on their website, but ultimately it's your responsible to find out. That said this is exactly why you need to re-register both with FD and Rotax so when things do come out, instead of hunting it down on the website it is automatically sent to you.

Why on earth would anybody fight this. I would make no since. It would take two phone calls lasting 5 minutes or two emails, actually one email with two recipients.

Before SLSA Rotax told me only about 20% of the total Rotax users registered their engine's. The SLSA Mfg's have done a far better job than individual owners.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When I take my CTSW with D120 from SLSA to ELSA and replace the D120 with a Skyview, whom do I deal with on an update and who is responsible for telling me when an important update is coming?"

Once you went ELSA you were on your own. You will only deal with Dynon for updates and warranty because FD doesn't sell or deal in ELSA's. Because you go ELSA you may be legally out of their official loop. That said if you are registered with them they will send you information as if you were still an SLSA.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The FAA holds the airplane manufacturer responsible for all safety notices and for keeping the list of owners up to date."

FD legally only has to post on their website, but they send out notices if and only if your registered because if you aren't registered they have no way to contact you, same with Rotax. The list is no more accurate than the owners that send or don't send in their info.

The owner, new or second owner is ultimately responsible to make sure this gets done. You are responsible to follow up and make sure the MFG does their job.

If I pull a Jabiru 3300 out of my E-LSA Van RV12 and put a Rotax in it, who is responsible for keeping things up to date?

Jim,

Not to be picky :) , but an RV-12 with a Jab probably would not be an ELSA, it would be an E-AB ( Experimental Amateur Built ). Unless, of course, you first built it with the Rotax, got your Airworthiness Certificate, then made the change. Once you have the ELSA certificate, then you can do whatever you want to it so long as the LSA rules are not violated.

Vans will continue to issue you alerts as long as they have your email but once certified you don't have to share anything with them. there is no "mother may I" in the ELSA or E-AB world.

You are responsible to follow up and make sure the MFG does their job.

I don't think the law says this anywhere, and other than ask, what more can I do? If they lose my registration I will not have any way of knowing that. I cannot make sure they are doing their job, which is why I trust them to be a good company.

Roger, I am not objecting to registering my engine, I am objecting to it being represented as a legal requirement to register your engine.

So, 20% do it and the rest expect FD to keep them informed (as I understand it they have to do what they can to inform their owners, just like auto recalls, but I cannot site the law on this) and their mechanics to do the rest when work or inspections are done. I personally think it is important to keep informed and to look for all the info I can, but then I do the work on my own plane.

OK, it was the MUST that I took as some sort of requirement. Evidently it is just an opinion and optional. No one MUST do it. (Although I believe there is a MUST to the FD registration and it is supposed to be done by the seller and the buyer.)

All that applies to standard certification. I asked you before - Who sets the rules for light sport manufacturers? Once you figure that out some of these things will become clearer to you.

Oh, and, do you think YOU are the "Type Certificate Owner?" You really need to do some work on understanding this stuff. First, get your license, then go to the 120 hr.LSRM-A course (more than half the time is spent on light sport regs). Then you can work on figuring it all out

All that applies to standard certification. I asked you before - Who sets the rules for light sport manufacturers? Once you figure that out some of these things will become clearer to you.

Oh, and, do you think YOU are the "Type Certificate Owner?" You really need to do some work on understanding this stuff. First, get your license, then go to the 120 hr.LSRM-A course (more than half the time is spent on light sport regs). Then you can work on figuring it all out

Archived