GoPro Adhesive Mount Failure

FlyingMonkey

Hey all...

I had the flat GoPro 3 adhesive mount attached to the rear bulkhead between the seats. "Had" because while flying a few days ago the adhesive failed and the camera fell off.

I'm thinking I should put some stronger adhesive on the pad and stick it back in place...but what adhesive should I use? I'd prefer to be able to remove it later if possible, so if I use epoxy I expect that taking it off will take the epoxy paint off the carbon fiber too. I can just have it as a "permanent" mount without being too busted up about it, but thought I'd ask if anybody knows of an adhesive that will stick securely and still allow it to be removed later.

I have another fresh adhesive mount, so I can try again if somebody knows what I did wrong. Should I prep the surface with alcohol or something before sticking? It's summer in Georgia (90+ temps regularly), so the heat is not helping adhesion either.

hello Andy,

just some tips from Jakarta, Indonesia to you.

clean the surface then stick, this will perfectly for your GoPro.

i even stick the camera outside with no problem, but sure i clean the surface first.

hope this will helps.

Thanks Bobby and Eddie...I will try with a fresh mount and some surface prep first.

The surface between the seats has a rough surface and doesn't accept adhesives very well, especially removable ones. I've seen some folks glue (with better permanent adhesive) a smooth flat disk to the bulkhead... and then use the suction mount to it, or another removable adhesive strip.

The GoPro adhesives really need to be in place at least 24 hours before they hold well.

tim

The rough texture of the bulkhead isn't good for suction cup mounts. Take a look at the attached pic. I solved this problem by taking a 4" x 6" piece of plexi glass (1/4" thick) and using 3m mounting tape (its grey in color, sold at home depot or lowes, used for heavy duty mounting exterior). The suction cup loves sticking to plexi. The reason for the oversized plate and thickness is that the suction cup is powerful. My earlier attempts with a smaller plate and thinner material yielded the suction cup warping the plexi or lifting the mounting tape.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-1-in-x-1-66-yd-Exterior-Mounting-Tape-411-DC/100575385#.Uik7drxHwjQ

post-124-0-19232500-1378433698_thumb.jpg

That's a great idea Adam, but I think a little to large for my tastes in this airplane. The small adhesive mount is perfect, if I can just get it to stick. I put a second one in place today after prepping the surface with denatured alcohol. I will give it at least 24hrs to cure/set/stick, then we will see.

Archived