2006 CTsw Tundra Tire Upgrade - $6,200.00 ***WHAT***

liltaka

Yesterday, I received a quote on Tundra tire upgrade from FD and shocked how expensive it is...

I am hoping there is another option to upgrade without costing huge amount...

Does anyone know or offering used upgrade stets...? Please help...

Below shows quote from FD...

NOSE GEAR

KA4010100-04 Nose wheel rotation unit tundra = $2,889.60

C997204U front wheel + bearings + hub fro tundra = $543.41

Nose, 6" x 80mm-AXLE D.15

KA4010003-04 Distance Bushing, tundra = $14.22

KA4010216-04 Distance bushing tunda = $28.22

Azis, nose wheel = $116.93

C9996507 washer DIN 125 A-13mm VZ = $0.48

C9996338 self-locking nut DIN 985-M12, regular = $1.34

FS-C9997207W 400-6 Aero Classic Tire = $89.50

FS-C9997207H Tube 13/500-6 TR87 90/90 = $47.50

for Marc Ingegno wheel

KF32200011 CTLS nose wheel fairing (used on SW tundra) = $840.00

NOSE GEAR TOTAL = $4,571.21

MAIN GEAR

KE32100090_00 fairing, main wheel, tundra, left CTsw = $698.88

KE32100091_00 fairing, main wheel, tundra, right CTsw = $698.88

FS-C9997205H 6.00-6 tundra tube for matco rim $69.93 ea = $139.86

FS-C9997207F tire 6-ply 6.00-6" Air trac $89.40 ea = $178.80

MAIN GEAR TOTAL = $1,716.42

GRAND TOTAL =$6,287.63

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it was 2006 and what they did after a certain serial number was beef the structure even if the plane was not receiving Tundra gear. Before that if your plane had tundra, it had a beefed up structure. If no tundra gear, then no beef up. So, then the next thing liltaka needs to find out is if he has a plane that has the beefed up structure.

It may not be worth it to do this upgrade. Like buying a car then wishing you had gone for the bigger engine. In most cases that would be very expensive especially in late model cars.

I don't think it was 2006 and what they did after a certain serial number was beef the structure even if the plane was not receiving Tundra gear. Before that if your plane had tundra, it had a beefed up structure. If no tundra gear, then no beef up. So, then the next thing liltaka needs to find out is if he has a plane that has the beefed up structure.

Looking at the bill of materials, there's nothing that beefs up the main gear other than Matco wheels.

I left the nose alone on mine. Replaced mains with Desser Monster retreads 6.00 X 6 with new tubes. Probably cost lest than $100/side. Left the fairings off.

Fairings:

May offer some increased speed, but we are speed limited anyway, in which case may offer some fuel economy

Make it somewhat more difficult to check tire pressure

Make it more difficult to easily visually inspect tires for wear, damage and inflation

Are subject to damage when people step on them by mistake

When off, the tire makes a convenient entrance step

Looks better with fairings

its not the $700 as much as the fact that they are so big and ugly. i can't find it online, guess I saw them at FD West in Carson City. very custom, very small, cleaned up the brakes and axle, maybe just a disc over the hub I forget. The result was like no pants but it was clean and looked good.

I have tundra with small wheel pants, I think they look better than the $700 jobs.

post-6-0-70905100-1369748077_thumb.jpg

I wonder if below will work or not...(reading some of the threads by Roger and found)

NOSE GEAR

CTLS nose wheel fairing (used on SW tundra) = $840.00

400-6 Aero Classic Premium Tire (tubeless) = $59.75

-

MAIN GEAR

fairing, main wheel, tundra, left CTsw = $698.88

fairing, main wheel, tundra, right CTsw = $698.88

6.00-6 desser tube $49.95 ea = $139.86

-

tire 6-ply 6.00-6" Air trac $55.50 ea = $110.00

-

GRAND TOTAL $2,508.41

If so, only problem will be fairings for now. Then, upgrade the nose gear later. Does anyone have used CTLS nose fairing for sale?

Looking at the bill of materials, there's nothing that beefs up the main gear other than Matco wheels.

Jim - maybe I am wrong but my understanding is as I stated. In the later planes the actual aircraft structure was the same, tundra or not I think.

I am sure Roger will know the answer when he gets online again.

The 4.00-6 nose wheel will not fit on the non-tundra fork regardless of whether the pant fits. So when I found I pair of surplus tundra CTSW pants here, cheap, I made the move to Matcos, 6.00-6 monsters, and left the nose alone. It means 2deg more nose down on the ground; hardly noticeable. It is also a huge improvement, BTW. Much stickier landings and solid braking.

The 4.00-6 nose wheel will not fit on the non-tundra fork regardless of whether the pant fits. So when I found I pair of surplus tundra CTSW pants here, cheap, I made the move to Matcos, 6.00-6 monsters, and left the nose alone. It means 2deg more nose down on the ground; hardly noticeable. It is also a huge improvement, BTW. Much stickier landings and solid braking.

So, basically I can only upgrade main gears only and will feel the difference.

MAIN GEAR

fairing, main wheel, tundra, left CTsw = $698.88

fairing, main wheel, tundra, right CTsw = $698.88

6.00-6 desser tube $49.95 ea = $139.86

tire 6-ply 6.00-6" Air trac $55.50 ea = $110.00

-

GRAND TOTAL = $1,608.66

Are the only upgrade I need to do for now...I assume...

I fly my Tundra equipped 2006 CTsw with Desser Monster 6-ply 6.00-6" mains and I think many other do, as well (see Chanik, above). They are very durable. Although the tire fits in the main wheel fairings, I removed the fairings, anyhow. I found no meaningful difference in cruise speed with main fairings-off vs main fairings-on. One less thing to get damaged/scratched. Your mileage may vary.

I fly my Tundra equipped 2006 CTsw with Desser Monster 6-ply 6.00-6" mains and I think many other do, as well (see Chanik, above). They are very durable. Although the tire fits in the main wheel fairings, I removed the fairings, anyhow. I found no meaningful difference in cruise speed with main fairings-off vs main fairings-on. One less thing to get damaged/scratched. Your mileage may vary.

So you are saying regular smaller original fairings will fit on to tundra main tires?

Okay, hanging at the hotel with a little time.

Hi Taka,

First off your main landing gear is already the upgraded version in your plane. What you mechanic is referencing is this. FD would prefer that you change out the nose gear from the smaller 4.00-4 tire to the 4.00-6 front tire if you change from the smaller mains to the larger mains (6.00-6). Physically you would only need to change the tires on the mains from a 4.00-6 to the larger 6.00-6 and then buy the new wheel pants at $700 each or you can leave the wheel pants off per an LOA. The only hitch here is FD wants the front wheel and nose strut changed too. That's expensive. A few people have changed just the mains and not the front tire, but there is no LOA to leave this out. You can call FD and see if they would let you do the mains without the front wheel change, but that might not work. So you could do this for work at a cost from $400 to $6000. You're going to have to contact FD first and IF they approve the change without the nose wheel change then decide if you want wheel pants.

p.s.

Do not try and use the small wheel pants on the larger tires. This was tried and they will rub. They were never designed for that. There needs to be so room for clearance and debris.

Conclusion;

I have to stick with the original wheels...period.

Upgrading to tundra tires will cost $6287...changing mains only is not approved by FD and basically not airworthy.

Do the right way or just don't do it at all. Stick with what I have is the right way for me.

Archived