# 3 cylinder EGT

Rich

Good evening,

On a trip back from Lancaster PA yesterday I noticed the #3 EGT go erratic.

It went through a range from 200*F to 1200 hitting just about every number that can be imagined. The readings changed once per second.

The engine and probes have 103 hrs. TT.

Would you expect a bad probe or loose connection at the EDM.

The other three were working fine with hottest running at 1410*F.

Thanks,

Rich

It's either a bad wire connection at the pin connector or the wire coming out of the probe or the probe is going bad. Dynon says anything past 200 hrs. is good, but we know them to last for years and many more hours. I sounds like just a bad connection. The #3 cyl. EGT wire goes through the firewall in behind the passengers panel and has two connectors inside. easy to see and get to.

I received the return call from the company this afternoon and the 22 concentrate is used for these types of connectors.

It was suggested that all male and female connections be cleaned with 99% isopropanol alcohol or a contact cleaner specifically designed for aircraft use.

After cleaning, it was also suggested that the contacts be air dried before connecting for approx. 45 minutes.

This, I was told, is due to the silicone base that the contacts are set in. It seems that the silicone base will swell up to 6%.

Product must be used sparingly to help avoid this situation.

Rich

Archived