Southern Appalachian Fly-In (take 2)

FastEddieB

Weather is looking better for this weekend (Karen and I were in Florida last weekend).

Let's try again - how about Saturday at noon? I'll plan to get to Copperhill (1A3) at 11AM - love to hook up with anyone who can make it by to kick some tires, tell some lies and maybe fly in each other's planes.

And lunch at El Rio if anyone's hungry!

Here's hoping!

NOTAM is out for right traffic for 20.

The segmented circle around the windsock shows it as well.

Looking forward to meeting you if you can make it. Don't worry about being a bit late - its a really informal get together.

And the weather is still looking perfect!

Well, looks like that didn't work out.

Flyigforfun is rightfully concerned about forecast 18k gusts, Flocket had other plans and I've yet to hear from MrMorden.

I'm headed over to Blue Ridge Skyport (57GA) solo to get the rust off my cylinders. If anyone wants to touch base either there or here later let me know. Fasteddieb@mac.com.

Gorgeous flight, perfect weather.

Quick and dirty video here (best on 720p HD and full screen):

Kind of shaky with my baseball cap mount, and the reflections suck, but you'll get the idea.

Again, not the best landings. And the very detail oriented might notice something I forgot to do!

Sorry Eddie, I thought I had your phone number, but when I tried to call you I realized it was not in my phone and I didn't know how to reach you from the ramp in Athens. I left Winder at 9:30 and winds were about 5 knots. By the time I got to Athens for the EAA meeting I landed in 12G22, which is well beyond my normal limits at this point in my experience. I decided to stay on the ground there hoping the winds would die out, and didn't get out until after 2pm. Went straight back to Winder and put th plane away. I could only assume winds were at least as bad near the mountains in North Georgia.

I long ago discovered that the mountains have their own weather.

And that can cut both ways - sometimes its noticeably worse than the flatter terrain to the south and north, sometimes noticeably better.

And today was the latter - there was nary a hint of a gust all day, with maybe 5kt or 6kt winds at the most - a perfect day for flying - once you got here!

As always, discretion is the better part of valor!

Archived