Oil Temp in a Climb

FlyingMonkey

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went for a sunset cruise this evening. Field elevation 180', climbed to 2500 MSL at 85K then set up for a 5200 cruise. OAT at altitude was 67F. When it all settled down, CHT was 195, oil temp 215. Seems high for 67F. Reduced power to 5000 and oil temp settled at 210F with CHT at 190.

Roger, I did the same hose off the bottom of the engine reroute that you indicate above last Nov.

My oil temps are getting worse but my CHT/OilTemp differential is growing. CHT remains normal and oil is 40F hotter than CHT. I ordered a digital candy thermometer so that I could confirm the reading while taking the existing ground out of the loop.

John what was your before and after on the oil line re-route?

• 2 weeks later...

I flew today with a digital thermometer with the probe in the oil tank. The digital confirmed my gauge on my panel. I climbed to 250° on the panel and the oil tank was at 257°.

I was 97° before startup and went to 90 in a few seconds after start as the cooler oil in the engine entered the tank. Temps in the tank had almost no lag time as the engine oil temp went up during the 5 minute climb and then back down. The lack of lag time makes me think the flow through the lines and cooler is good.

Candy thermometer gets four stars, it worked very well. Now that I know that the gauge is not lying to me I am more determined to get this fixed.

The tank is the wrong place to get the operational temp. It is the hottest oil temp and the oil temp probe is the coolest.

The tank ran 7 degrees hotter. If it was not hotter I would suspect my gauge was wrong.

This was your idea in the first place it just took me years to get around to it.

Hi Ed,

The part number for the Larger Radiator is p/n C9997796M.

Please fill out a MRA form completely with TT, Eng. s/n, etc and scan it to me. http://documents.flightdesignusa.com/PZ01000045_MRA%20form%20A.pdf

There will be an engineering cost to produce this, I would estimate between $ 150.00 - 300.00.

Sincerely,

Dave Armando

Director of Maintenance

Flight Design USA

(860) 963-7272

www.flightdesignusa.com

Dear Dave

Part number for larger oil radiator – C9997796M

Best regards,

Akim Zubkov

Customer Care Department

Archived