Dynon releases 7.0 Is it Ok for FD?

Doug G.

The fuel cost is high, but in line with what I have seen when in Europe. Does the landing fee apply per touchdown? In other words, does just running around the circuit and doing touch-and-goes get very expensive? Seems a very dumb way to fund airports, discouraging pilots from building proficiency...

You're quite right - although most training schools have deals with the airfields for touch & gos etc. but the reality in the UK is that once qualified most of us don't do much circuit work as it costs too much to touch your wheels down!

Hello Adam, Have watched some of your YouTube videos - great stuff. Question: above, you mention FD have 6.2. Where do I get this configuration from? The flightdesign.com website only shows 5.1, and I'm eagerly waiting to have the fuel pressure top value adjusted to be in sync with the fuel pump. Thanks, Matt

Matt, I might be off on current rev release. I'm without a plane at the moment awaiting delivery of my new Jubilee Edition CTLSi. I thought I read in this thread that the latest rev shipping with CTLSi is 6.x (I think I said 6.2 but its actually 6.1 according to a post in this thread). Sorry if I got you excited.

Matt, I might be off on current rev release. I'm without a plane at the moment awaiting delivery of my new Jubilee Edition CTLSi. I thought I read in this thread that the latest rev shipping with CTLSi is 6.x (I think I said 6.2 but its actually 6.1 according to a post in this thread). Sorry if I got you excited.

Thanks for your reply Adam. Appreciated, and hope that the new CTLSi Jubilee edition is good. Unsure whether Australia is serviced with these great initiatives of special editions. Pity I'm not in the US... Guess I have to wait for Flight Design to get back to me re adjusting the incorrect 5.1 fuel pressure parameter, which I'm locked out of. I appreciate their governance and "FD certification" of avionics in that regard, for general aviation registered aircraft flying in controlled airspace purely on glass.

No one answered this yet.

Question,

Other than FD wants you to download only off their site or their version what would it physically hurt and would it really make any difference other than possibly unlocking certain functions?

Roger, the airplanes need to conform to the AOI. Canges made by an owner are likely not going to cause any problem to them, because they have things set like they want. The problem is if someone else, like a new owner, flies the airplane they read the AOI and get in, then everything is different it could cause a problem. I agree some flexibility would be nice, but being able to make big changes like limits, operating ranges, and alarms would not be good for a new owner.

No one answered this yet.

Question,

Other than FD wants you to download only off their site or their version what would it physically hurt and would it really make any difference other than possibly unlocking certain functions?

Roger, lots of smarter people here than I who will opine but in general lay terms, the operating system can be a combination of firmware (chip resident code that initiates the boot sequence, tells the computer how to boot and initialize) and software that is stored (in some form of memory) that governs what the computer will do once booted and in operation. Computers generally have some combination of firmware, operating system and software. I never had any issues downloading from Dynon's website but in theory, if FD has different firmware code loaded than a standard Dynon system its possible an upgrade that works on an unlocked Dynon Skyview (with the latest firmware) might corrupt or render a specific locked version of (old) firmware unable to boot or function. On the Dynon Skyview you have menu options to backup your current configuration. Like any computer, before upgrading its a wise idea to back up your config files. If your new load doesn't work, you can revert back to the previous rev and then reload your saved config file.

Updating will not physically hurt anything if it is done correctly. The issue is that 7.0 software does not conform to the AOI until they release a copy (from the horses mouth), so it is supposedly a regs issue.

The problems that FD skyview were having was a big reason why i did not upgrade to skyview.

Archived