Best ADSB out solution?

207WF

I attended a Garmin presentation at my local avionics shop. The Garmin rep went thru the ADS-B equipment available and how this can be integrated with current hardware plus the new stuff that has recently come out. The setup that interested me was the Garmin GDL-88 for operation below 18,000 feet. My takeaway from the Garmin presentation is this device receives ADS-B "in" on both 978 and 1090 and transmits "out" on 978. It receives one's current transponder code and re-transmits this to meet ADS-B "out" certification requirements under 978 MHz UAT rules requiring the squawk code from the ADS-B link match those of the transponder. This means current mode C transponders can be used and purchase of "ES" (extended squitter) transponders is not needed. The GDL-88 can be remotely mounted. Most are being mounted in the tail areas. It offers optional built-in WAAS certified GPS for those who do not have a GPS with this. To get visual traffic, FIS-B and weather display, a "compatible" display device is needed such as newer 600 or 700 series Garmin or IPad. An audible voice traffic alert is provided for those not opting for a panel device that displays. The voice will provide info similar to ATC such as "Traffic 10 o'clock (high, low or same), 2 miles". For those only wanting ADS-B "in" until 2020, The Stratus or Garmin GDL-39 provide ADS-B "in" of traffic and weather for compatible displays (600 and 700 series Garmin or IPad). Doug, personally, I don't see how FD can block installation of government mandated equipment but this will probably be a hot topic on our forum in the future.

Andy, I agree. I now have a Garmin 495 which is not WAAS certified for ADS-B use. The 495 does run my TruTrak auto pilot so I must retain something with the Garmin name due to this. So, my choice is to keep the 495 and use an IPad for ADS-B display. Or, just bite the bullet, replace the 495 by buying a 795 for $1,700 (some $$ offset by trading in the 495). This would give me WAAS (more $$ offset since I wouldn't need to spend on the GDL-88 WAAS option), a compatible system to run my A/P and a nice screen to view traffic and weather. The other advantage in going with newer Garmin units is these have the "Target Trend" software. This is really neat. The software uses input from the GDL-88 to provide "relative motion" of your aircraft with surrounding aircraft instead of the traditional "absolute motion" of other aircraft. This means one can judge relative motion and closure rate by way of a scaled line that comes from the target aircraft. I believe this also displays a calculated point of intersection of your aircraft and the highest threat aircraft if present speeds and directions are maintained.

FD offers Dynon ADS-B and it is an 'out' solution. I have it in my CTLSi. Its an elegant, integrated, robust way to do it. Its a module and an antennae. Its cabled into the Dynon Skyviews with full compatibility. It lights up the map display with data as long as there is data to retrieve from the ground and other aircraft so equipped.

http://www.dynonavio...View_ADS-B.html

Video discussing CTLS with ADS-B: http://goo.gl/yJIxo8

Flight Design Announced ADS-B: http://goo.gl/hSgF6P

That is a very nice system, but it would be a big pill to swallow for those of us with planes with older instruments. We'd have to upgrade to Skyview, PLUS the ADS-B gear, plus I'm sure some other odds and ends. Even with just one 7" Skyview display, it gets above $10k pretty quickly. I'd like to do it, but as I said...a big pill to swallow. I love all the integration, I'm sure it's super sweet.

I believe the portable are in only like the stratus and clarity. Clarity works great but again in only so need to be within the zone of an aircraft with ads b out to pick up the targets from ground radar. Not really a problem in busy airspace. I am just outside NY and I can always piggy back on an aircraft with ads b out.

The question maybe could have been clearer. I think most understood that I was not interested in buying a new plane, but a solution for my 2010 CTLS that FD has approved. Even though it is mandated by the FAA by 2020, it does not follow that you can change things on your SLSA without FDs approval which I would expect to come in the form of an LOA.

The Garmin system may be a good solution, but, if I install it the equipment list will need to be changed and that is subject to approval by FD. I like the Dynon also, but that would take a major panel overhaul, also requiring FD approval. Just because they use it doesn't mean I can.

http://www.skyvisionxtreme.com/

http://www.skyguardt...RANSCEIVER.html

I'm not a pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... What about those?

Since when are you not a pilot? I have seen you fly an airplane. ;)

I'm confused about those portable devices...how can they do ADS-B out without being connected to the transponder? I thought that was a requirement for out...but maybe it just needs any old altitude source? Somebody set me straight on this.

OK, point me to the LOA and I will consider it. Like I said, just because they do it doesn't mean I (or you) can. You cannot change hardly anything in your plane without permission from FD except for "preventative maintenance" items. Even fasteners, like the ones holding the instrument panel pieces in are designated in the parts manual.

• 4 weeks later...

Craig pointed out SkyGuard earlier which had a transceiver solution. They've now come out with an ADS-B transmitter solution that, they claim, will meet the TSO spec, http://www.skyguardtwx.com/UAT_Transmitter.html. It's a portable so wouldn't require an LOA. One could also permanently mount easily since it doesn't need display space. $975. Their transceiver is $1475.

I already have a 795+GDL-39 so this could certainly complete my wizbang wishlist.

Even if it doesn't get certified, I can get traffic for 6 years then throw it away and get the appropriate equipment when required.

An advantage to my Sting (bubble canopy) is I can mount the two antenna easily in back on my 'hat rack'. Can probably secure the unit back there as well. Just got to figure out power.

Christmas might have come early.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Guys. Here is what I am now thinking. I think that a Garmin 430W will fit in the hole my air gizmo holding the Garmin 496 now resides in. It is actually shorter and the same width, but 11' deep. I use a remote mount Garmin GDL for ADSB. Its not cheap, but I get everything that way: ADSB in, out, (I have the GTX 330 with mode S and ILS), so I get TIS (very useful in the LA basin), plus I get a second nav/com in the 430W and I get to fly GPS approaches for practice using the 430W. I will need to upgrade the audio panel to cover the two nav/coms (not sure where that can go) and install a #1/#2 switch for the ILS head. I wonder if I can blue tooth some of that stuff to my IPAD Mini, so I can see the traffic and weather on a bigger screen. (I now have XM weather on the 496, so I guess I would loose that for ADSB WX). WF

• 1 month later...

Archived