So far I like the Gopro for stills better than video

Ed Cesnalis

This was a change of altitude from 5500' to 7500'. The temps on the ground were 95+. I don't recall what they were at altitude but I do know I was going to 7500 to find the air conditioning. The AP kept calling for more elevator trim until I dropped back to 0°.

After that there was no issue.

Ah, you mentioned your flatlander status and I figured maybe you were having problems closer to sea level.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flaps create parasitic drag, but if you're not going at high speed anyways, slightly increasing flaps should have a negligible effect on your forward speed.

Also, you should assist your autopilots with trim in typical CT installations, at least pre-electric trim anyways. They have servos which are constantly working, and relieving strain when possible will increase life in those servos. Your autopilot should indicate which nose direction it is applying force, so roll trim to assist.

Yes, I kept putting in trim and it would ask for more so I shut off the AP and hand flew, at first. Then remembered a comment about climb with -6°. Went to 0° and the plane showed a bit, but climbed and I went back to AP, and back to -6° on the flaps once I got to 7500'.

A lesson worth learning.

Flaps create parasitic drag, but if you're not going at high speed anyways, slightly increasing flaps should have a negligible effect on your forward speed.

Also, you should assist your autopilots with trim in typical CT installations, at least pre-electric trim anyways. They have servos which are constantly working, and relieving strain when possible will increase life in those servos. Your autopilot should indicate which nose direction it is applying force, so roll trim to assist.

Induced drag is a result of lift, parasitic drag is a result of structure.  You are not changing the structure, just adding lift by altering the wing's chord line.  I have read flaps referred to as "induced drag devices" and I believe that is correct.  But it's also possible that the additional surface area into the wind could be considered parasitic.  Maybe it's both? 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived