Tape on radiator

procharger

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

50's during the day is about right to start with tape. Just watch the oil temps and they should be 200F-220F and sometimes on really cold days it may be under 200F, but it won't hurt a thing for an occasional flight. We usually use a 2" strip of aluminum tape (not duct or gorilla tape, the glue makes a mess) on the top 2" of the coolant radiator. If temps get too hot take it off, if temps stay way too low add another 1" and so on.

I did not install it, it was on the plane when I bought it. I will post a picture when I get out to the hangar. It may take a few days - dealing with some health issues with my mother.

All I can say is that it is on the passenger side of the engine. Without looking, I can't even say how the hoses are routed.

The tape goes all the way across, from left to right, the top of the radiator. SWo the top 2" of the air flow is blocked to the oil cooler and the radiator.. I put about 1/4" folded over the top and about 1" around the sides to the wind doesn't bother it. We all do it at my field. & CT's and maybe 9 soon.

The CTLS cowling seems to line up with the radiators much better than the CTSW does. Not a scientific analysis, just an observation of a couple of planes. I wish my cowling openings were more in line with the radiator and might consider modifications to make it so. Mine is experimental.

It's too bad we have to use tape to control oil temperatures. At least the Dynamik has an adjustable louver. It would be nice if the CTSW also had some pilot controlled way to manage oil temp in flight.

The radiators in the CTSW or LS can be moved and made to fit the openings better.

That is on my agenda this winter. That is also the time to do some fiberglass work if needed. Lots of room for productive tweaking of the air flow. That is the reason for my question a couple of months ago on any studies of under cowl air flow.

I remember the post on the shutters. I have an oil thermostat I'm going to put on. That will help warm up.

I put a strip across the top of the radiator today. It was 51 degrees, and throughout the flight oil temps never got much above 180 degrees. After letting the engine warm the CHT was about 210, but dropped back to 180 also when in the air. I added another strip overlapping the top strip by half since that is still too cool, will post results after flying tomorrow.

Archived