Tape on radiator

procharger

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rotax minimum operating oil temp is 120F and your Dynon is set to 120-121 for the RPM to switch from the yellow to green for anything over 2500 rpm after it hits the 120F mark. I never understood where 124F came from. Had to be a translation or typo because it isn't Rotax and my manual says 120F which matches the Dynon setup. Once I hit 120F I do my run up mag check and then I'm gone. By the time I roll out it is probably 135F+. The rest of the heat comes from climb out.

Yeah, I have definitely been sitting on the ground too long trying to let the oil warm up. 124°F is 51°C, so maybe FD/Rotax just wants the temp *over* 50°C.

I wonder though, if 120ish is good enough for takeoff, why do we work to ensure temps up near 200°F in flight? It seems the high power and loading of takeoff would be the most stressful time, anything after that should be fine at the same temp, right?

Regarding 212 degrees F in flight... When the oil temperature sensor is 212 degrees F (and displays 212 on the engine instrumentation), is the oil hotter (or cooler) in other locations in the engine?

I would think that oil temperature is not exactly constant throughout the entire oil circuit. Just wondering how large the range of oil temperatures is inside the engine while running in steady cruise flight. An indicated temp of 212 may mean some oil is 220 and some is 200, just as an example. Hard to know without measuring.

This may have already been covered, but.....the sliding radiator/oil shudder cover is one of the most effective add-ons I've ever done on 9WD. I flew 4 days last week with departing OAT's from 17 - 21 degF. The shudder works like a champ. Instant cabin heat, up to 120 degrees from 70 degrees (reiff) 3 minutes. I keep it steady at 215 deg indicated during in flight ops. great unit!

Archived