Tape on radiator

procharger

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scrapman had them. They need to come off when the weather warms because there is still radiator blockage even when the holes are open. FD approves the tape, not the shutter. Unless you're super cold like Charlie Tango or some others in high country or up north the tape should work just fine.

Fred,

I wonder if we couldn't find some sensors that would work for various parts of the engine, including the oil tank, and read them through one of the free Dinon chanels? Might have to be creative on the sensors. I wonder if there are any other oil ports we could tap on the block? Just thinking out loud.

The tape isn't the answer for me. If I depart Afton @ 20 degrees and 7am head 4 hours south to North Vegas airport and its 80 degrees it will overheat. Shudder system is a 10 minute install and 5 uninstall even in a wide open configuration it cools just fine. Then departing Vegas at 8pm, 75 degrees and arrival in Afton at 20 degrees or less warm and happy in the cab. So does FD have an LOA for the tape? The shudder was 75 bucks.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my CTLS from scrapman and there was one on it. He told me that he had it made for the plane. Sometime last year I saw a post on this site where he said he was going to send it to FD and try to get an approval. I don't know where that process is now or if he followed thru but you could contact him for an update.

The shutter seems to work good and the install and removal is easy but you need to take off upper and lower cowl and takes about 20 to 30 minutes if you removed the cable on removal. It would be really quick if you left the cable in place on removal. Then it is simply mount the shutter with nylon ties and away you go.

Archived