Trip down south

Rich

Good morning,

Had to make the choice between a southern trip or the western trip to Page.

The Page trip lost out and my wife and I visited relatives in North Carolina for a week and then on to Savannah, GA for a few days.

We had a great time and got some beach time in both locations.

I was stationed in Savannah, Hunter Army Airfield in 1967-68 but at that time I wasn't really interested in the history, just a good time in my off duty hours.

This trip to Savannah proved very rewarding. So much history, beautiful architecture and wonderful people. My wife loved the place, as I figured she would. The Port of Savannah and River Street have been built up. Great places to eat, good beer in a spotless enviornment.

The flight down took us from MPO through ABE, MQS, ESN, through the east side of DC within the 60 mile ring of the SFRA, just west of 2WS to avoid the Navy's ristricted area at Putuxant, then on to XSA for fuel and lunch. From XSA we had to divert around weather to RDU to RCZ for an update on the weather. After the briefing we continued on at 2,000 MSL to 60J, our first destination.

The trip from NC (60J) to SAV took us through CRE, CH and NBC.

The return trip back through NC to north eastern PA was a little more direct due to great visibility at 3,500 MSL. Headwinds of 4 through 12 KTS were present throughout the return.

The total trip time (flying) was 12 hours.

The engine performed perfectly with just a few glitches in the TruTrac. The page button dissapeared once while the RPM readout dropped out a few times. This was corrected by resetting the breaker.

ATC was fantastic throughout the trip.

Sting S4 with 100HP ULS.

Rich

Eddie,

I'll keep that in mind. It would be great to return to Tennessee again.

I studied at UT for a week for four consecutive years learning to become a more proficient instructor.

We had a great time in Knoxville and always went on the river boat cruise down the Tennessee River.

It's a beautiful area.

While there one year, I took a trip west to visit some friends that were located about 30 miles from Nashville.

Thanks for the invitation,

Rich

The engine performed perfectly with just a few glitches in the TruTrac. The page button dissapeared once while the RPM readout dropped out a few times. This was corrected by resetting the breaker.

Rich,

Am I correct in assuming that you are referring to a TruTrak EFIS?

If so, I would be interested hearing more about your experience with this piece of equipment. I have a TruTrak EFIS GP. (Yes, it was installed by a Flight Design service center and I have the paperwork from FD for the modification.) I have experienced the RPM dropout as well as a few other glitches.

In part, I purchased mine because at the time it was the only option with autopilot level feature.

Thanks in advance...

2FlyAgain,

Yes, the TruTrac EFIS is correct. Mine is the SG

I've had this problem since new with a few fixes that didn't work.

The latest fix is an SD card from the company, (Lucas at TruTrac. Phone 1-479-751-0250). You just plug it into the slot at the rear of the unit.

There is a slight percentage that it may not download into the unit correctly. If it does not, the EFIS will need to be reset to your specific engine and aircraft parameters.

I have not been willing to take the chance as yet and have figured it easier to just rest the CB.

In the 12 hour trip, the RPM's dropped off approx 1500RPM three times. Once it reset by itself. The "PAGE" letters above the button dissapeared once, and that was a first.

I like the unit due to the fact that it's user friendly. The AP works well, with just some overshooting in a right turn on course (a little to agressive). I can change that myself within the unit or just hit "direct-direct on the 796.

Rich

Rich,

I initially was concerned that the issues that I have experienced were due to poorly tightened ground connection bolts. But, I just tightened the bolts and still get rapid fluctuation in the oil temperature. I can't believe that it changes more than 50F in just minute...and then returns...

I tried calling TruTrak once and the person that supposed to return my call didn't. Then I learned that TruTrak merged with another company and I was afraid the product was no longer being supported. It is good to learn that have tried to help you.

Thanks again...!

Archived