2014 Baja Whales trip coming up...

CT4ME

The 2014 Whales Baja Fly-in trip is on the calendar. March 6-9 2014. The Whales trip rivals the Page Fly-in as a Great Flying Adventure. This years event will use Loreto as the home base. For those of you who have wanted to "do Mexico", but haven't, here's your opportunity. The trip is sponsored by the Baja Bush Pilots, and will probably have 50 planes. On our first trip, a few years back, 65 showed up. -More trip information-

To fly to Mexico, Sport pilots will need a medical (or a full Private license). Flying in the Baja is safe and a real hoot.

Here's some videos and pics from previous trips:

pics

Tim

Not in mexico... the radio station license thing is an ICAO regulation, but Mexico doesn't enforce that part. At least, not on small aircraft, for the last 20 years.

406 ELT requirement has been delayed until June 2015 for Mexico.

tim

• 3 months later...

You DO need a medical.  Someday, maybe, there will be a reciprocal agreement like in the Bahamas.  I know some here have full PPL.  I specifically did PPL because of Mexico/Canada flight (and the need for higher altitudes in the West).  IF the 3rd class medical exemption thing goes through, the AOPA/EAA have stated they will work with other countries to encourage reciprocal agreements.

tim

• 3 weeks later...

'Taking off for the Baja Whales adventure tomorrow (Mar 6)... while there are 60+(!) aircraft going, I didn't find anyone to fly with. So we'll be flying solo. Phoenix to KOLS, through Northern Mexico, across the Gulf, then down the Baja to Loreto. Fri or Sat, there will be a trip to the Pacific side for whale petting. Then back to the US on Sunday morning.
Here's our SPOT track... hopefully you won't see the dots stop anywhere but an airport!

(the spot track from tues was when I put it on the roof of the car to test the new batteries.  Of course, I drove away, forgetting it was up there. :mellow:   Later, after I realized my error, Roger checked my SPOT track and saw it was still tracking... on the side of the street where I went around the corner leaving the airport!  :) )

The food and drinks taste so much better after a nice long flight! Except for a 10-15 kt headwind, it was a perfect flight. Seeing old friends and making new ones. Going to the West coast for whale petting on the Saturday "2nd shift". Fri is "explore the area" day

Coming home is never as fun as going. 'Must be the anticipation.  13.8 hobbs time for the total trip.  615 Mile flight back on Sunday, with one stop in Nogales (KOLS) for customs.  Couldn't catch a break - headwinds down and bad headwinds coming back.  15-32 kts most of the way.  It especially made the 70 mile ocean crossing seem to take forever. The last 2 hours across the desert had lots of turbulence, and the rolling hills around Nogales made for a very challenging 14-28 gusting x-wind landing.  'hardest ever.   And the dang batteries on both cameras were dead by then.  

When/if I get the energy, I'll write-up a more detailed pirep.

(**edit** NWS recorded wind around when we landed @ KOLS as 25G35! no wonder it was a wild ride.)

tim

Archived