Fun places to fly in and stay a day or two

Roger Lee

Hi All,

While talking to CT4me ( Tim in Phoenix) we started talking about some place that may be fun to fly into for a couple of days for a little R&R. He emailed these two spots to me and we have decided to make a nice couples retreat and fly in to these spots.

The first one is the Grand Canyon Caverns. The Grand Canyon has caverns? Who knew and I live in Arizona. They have their own runway and you taxi right up to the front door to tie down. Stay right there in the hotel with a restaurant on site. The hotel will then take you by van the 1 mile to the caverns. Tour the caverns or stay down in the caverns in their bedroom area. Hec it's only $700 a night. A nice get away for all.

http://gccaverns.com/

Swain creek is another nice little get away location with a runway on site. A nice cabin and a car to use.

http://swainscreekpinesflyin.com/

Here is one more great spot. Carlsbad caverns. If you have never been there they are spectacular. Almost like one of the wonders of the world the first time you see them. I have never become tired of seeing this cavern. You can also take the individual tours in the other smaller caves where you may get a little dirty and tour with a guide. Fly into Cavern City, rent a car and drive the 20-30 miles south to White's, NM. There are two hotels right outside the cavern entrance. These caverns are a must see if you have never been.

http://www.nps.gov/cave/photosmultimedia/index.htm

Hi Jos,

Stay at the hotel is only $85, but staying down in the caverns ($700 a night) well that's different. It will sleep 6, they cart down 100 gals. of water for the shower and other water. they cater your meals down to you. They have someone standing by the elevator 24 hrs. for your convenience. You're waited on hand and foot. I guess I'll be staying in the hotel.

Did you look at the pictures of the living area in the caverns? Pretty exclusive and really nice.

The Hangar Hotel in Fredericksburg, TX (just north of San Antonio about 55miles) It has a motif of WWII bomber Hangar with an officer's club, 50's diner and some of the best German food in the U.S. Nestled right in the middle of Texas Hill Country, it has the Nimitz Pacific Theater museum and a horse race track about 1/4 mile away from the hotel. I was even thinking about getting a CT fly in for us "Central guys" there sometime but I'm 6 hrs away and would be hard to coordinate. They've held multiple type flyins including the Malibu and Grumman guys, Bonanzas etc. Tarmac for all of us and then some. Did I tell you the food was great???

www.hangarhotel.com

John

post-13-017655300 1282253529_thumb.jpg

Hi John,

Coordinating a fly-in from your location would be easy. I'm not near Page, Az. All you have to do is call the hotel and get rates, call the airport and tell them when and maybe approximate number coming. Your first go around you should get 8-10 , maybe more. Then the next year it will grow as more people hear about it. Just post and build it up here on the forum and ask for RSVP's so you can get a handle on the number. It really isn't that hard.

Hi john,

I'd go and I'm sure we could recruit a couple other Dallas area folks along with a couple more from South Texas.

I suggest pushing out of August. Pick the weekend after Labor Day or even mid-Feb. Mid feb is generally great weather in the SA area and not too bad for most of the area within 1000 mile radius.

• 11 months later...

AOPA mag suggests Catalina CA in the August issue. I have been many times. $25 to park. An interesting approach and landing -- I bet you will come in too high. You need "permission" on unicom to land as it is privately owned. This lets them tell you it is at your own risk -- several airplanes run off the far end and down the cliff most years. Buffalo burgers at the airport cafe. An amazing view. Tshirts and such in the gift shop. You can shuttle into the town in about an hour, but watch the schedule as it can be sparse. They run a DC3 from Long Beach in and out full of tourists. We hiked from the airport and camped on the beach once. Don't go during June gloom unless you are IFR. WF

"AOPA mag suggests Catalina CA in the August issue. An interesting approach and landing -- I bet you will come in too high."

Bet I wouldn't come in too high - and I'd have landed Sullenberger's plane a little closer to the dock.

Archived