LSA Maintenance Matrix (PDF)

WmInce

Thanks - filed away for the future edification of others.

Seems to be the work of Prof. Shuch.

Thanks to the Professor as well!

The other recurring debate is that it shows Preventive Maintenance limited by what the manufacturer permits. That's what I always thought, but some hold that the manufacturer cannot limit what the FAR's permit. Never saw anything conclusive on that, as I recall.

If who ever made that chart would have looked at 65.95 privileges and limitations for an IA they would have known that an IA can not do any of the things listed on the chart.

Literal interpretation, yes. But, a lot of people refer to an IA as though it's some super-certificate, instead of being an authorization. If I may suggest, when you pick apart errors, make sure that you stress that you are only trying to highlight the misunderstandings, so nobody thinks you're trying to be a dick ;)

If who ever made that chart would have looked at 65.95 privileges and limitations for an IA they would have known that an IA can not do any of the things listed on the chart.

Tom,

Just a friendly suggestion . . . why don't you make a new and better one . . . and post it here? :)

Tom,

Your statement regarding the IA is right on the money! There are several other errors as well.

1. Task specific training is not required. Compliance with 65.107 (repairmen) or 65.81 is required.

2. Maintenance manuals don't authorize personnel (as suggested in note [4]).

3. The definition of "major repair" is found in FAR part 1. It has nothing to do with where instructions are found (maintenance manual or other approved source).

Doug Hereford

Doug and others, thanks for mentioning Note 4 in the matrix. Specifically, am I correct that the manufacturer is not able to limit who is authorized to perform preventive maintenance (ie, this is authorized by the FAA, not the manufacturer)?

Fred

Fred,

Correct. The regulations (not mfgs) specify who is allowed to perform mx, preventive mx, rebuilding, and alterations.

On other clairifcation on my previous post: Repairmen may need to obtain additional appropriate training (as required by 65.107) before performing a major repair.

Doug Hereford

Tom,

Just a friendly suggestion . . . why don't you make a new and better one . . . and post it here? :)

I have offered to do a presentation for the IA renewal clinic held by our FSDO. If they accept my offer I will be working up a presentation and will be glad to post it here when I do.

Archived