SL40 Reception

boblid

Having trouble with reception in my RV12, Factory Built. What settings in the radio menu has anyone found that are ideal for the SL40. Been chasing this problem for a couple months. Radio seems to work fine initially, but after an hour or two in the air, reception is garbled and almost impossible to hear. Had avionics shop check antenna with meter, all was fine. On ground with battery power only, seems to be fine. Checked grounds all are wrench tight. Checked pin out on tray, it is correct. Next step is to remove tray and check grounding as well as antenna connection at tray. May be a vibration problem? Swaped out SL40's and the other one had the same reception problems. Roger Lee and I have talked and he suggested someone may have other ideas or suggestions. Thanks.

I had the same problem. Sometimes the connector/receiver in the back is the problem. For me, because of the faceplate, the unit wasn't allowed to fully seat itself. 'Trimmed things up a bit and it allowed the connector to fully seat itself... bad reception gone.

tim

Need the numbers for side tone, mic gain etc.for the sl40. Both the numbers users can set up and those in the factory setup screen. Yesterday I ran an attitional ground line to the voltage regulator. Will test today. Still think it may be a loose or weak ground but can't find it. Van's thinks its antenna, but I have had a meter on it at avionics shop and all tests ok on ground. Plan on changing out the pig tail coax antenna connection on the back of the radio and ground the radio with an additional ground.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

May have found the problem. Removed the radio tray and replaced the pig tail connector for the antenna. Flew for an hour and the radio reception was excellent. Time will tell. Could be that the radio was not properly connecting with the old pig tail in the tray or the old one was defective in some way. Checked the old one with a meter and it tested good. Go figure? Been chasing this for months. Thanks again for all your suggestions. Hopefully it is FIXED.

I'm still going to go with heat :). Heat can cause creep and increasing resistance in poor connections, symptoms which may not present themselves until you elevate the temperature. It's not unheard of, and it's a science that is well studied because even computer systems suffer from it (although nit as much anymore because of the mechanisms used nowadays).

Archived