My "De Niro" Philosophy for Flying

FlyingMonkey

I may have posted this before, but...

...back when I ferried crop-dusters, the hopper was hooked up to the fuel system - we put 150 gals up there - about 10 hours at 15 gph in addition to the 50 gals in the wings.

On one flight I smelled fuel, and could see fuel dripping from the jury-rigged selector valve.

I found if I held upward pressure on the selector, it would stop.

VIOLA! A typical Fast Eddie solution!

11222071524_f5e4da3a53_o.jpg

Not much you can't fix with bungees, tywraps, duct tape and safety wire!

One other thing to remember is if you have that much fuel, and have a flat tire while parked in tha hanger it will dump fuel out on the floor.

Like you Tom, I'm usually at 15-25 gallons. If I were taking a long trip I'd fill to capacity, but most of the time I try to keep it right at the top line on my sight tubes, which is 10 gallons per side. 30-34 gallons is also a lot of fire to get away from if something goes wrong on the runway.

. . . "Like you . . . , I'm usually at 15-25 gallons. If I were taking a long trip I'd fill to capacity, but most of the time I try to keep it right at the top line on my sight tubes, which is 10 gallons per side." . . .

Oh . . . sorta' like the RV-12? :P

My Sky Arrow has 17.6 usable and got me and Karen and a modicum of baggage to Page, AZ and back (limiting ourselves to about 15.5 gals. to stay under gross).

Albeit in 30+ legs*, but got to practice a lot of landings and meet a lot of nice people!

*including all the side trips and weather avoidance.

Archived