Duluth back to Arizona

coppercity

Such a beautiful plane! I drool at the sight of it. Once upon a time I thought about a Cirrus SR22 GTS but even with a seven figure income I just couldn't rationalize it in my brain. I decided that my buffalo burger runs were economically served in a CT! But when I look, I just have to lament, maybe $500k to $700k diverted from a retirement account (KIDDING) might be the answer!

Enjoy the ride... It's a rough life when you two are "required to fly" new SR22's for "work" ;-)

Safe travels!

Made it out of the snow and cold finally! Back home in Az!

Thought I'd share a couple pics of some rime ice we picked up on an ILS approach into Garden City Ks yesterday. Keep in mind we were flying a "Flight into known icing" equipped Cirrus. We were in the clouds at 12000' for about two hours with little to no icing. Most of this was picked up during the descent from 7000' to 3600' on the ILS approach. We broke out about 800'agl. Not a place you would want to be in a CT if you were thinking of scud running in and out of these lower layers!

post-8-0-43769000-1386627734_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-50897900-1386627761_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-47411800-1386627800_thumb.jpg

. . . "gotta love FIKI!" . . .

Not sure what you mean by that. :huh:

Over a couple of careers in aviation, I learned there are at least 3 things that should not be underestimated or ever taken for granted.

1) Thunderstorms

2) Severe/extreme turbulence

3) Icing

Icing is very hazardous and extremely hard to predict what the severity will be. The FIKI system on the Cirrus is a good system for very short term light/moderate icing but only if the pilot makes every effort to get out of the conditions as soon as possible. As with any anti icing or de-icing system it has limitations that need to be understood by the person operating it.

Archived