Portable Radio External Antenna installation

mocfly

Has anyone added an extra external antenna for use with a portable radio?

Primary use would be recieve only, while transmitting would require a more advanced wiring scheme.

My AC has the additional audio input in the aircraft that is silenced when a radio transmission is either received or made, I find it useful in my 172 to be able to get arrival airport information prior to being handed off by a center or other controlling authority prior to having the airport in sight. I have found listening to uncontrolled airport frequencies as I approach airport the airport can provide useful information, and some humor, especially if it un-controlled.

Lastly I also like to monitor 121.5 when the chatter is light or the hour is late. (Old habits die hard)

Hi Chris,

I've added an external VHF antenna for my Sportys SP-400 hand held Nav/Com. I did it for the same reason your considering, to monitor alternate frequencies. An added bonus was the NAV function as a back up should GPS fail, remarkably easy to use, unlike the Bendix King I had in my Skyhawk.

If you have any questions or would like some pictures send me an email.

al,

Lastly I also like to monitor 121.5 when the chatter is light or the hour is late. (Old habits die hard)

Why is it an "old habit?"

From the AIM:

6-2-5. Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT)

d. Inflight Monitoring and Reporting.

1. Pilots are encouraged to monitor 121.5 MHz and/or 243.0 MHz while inflight to assist in identifying possible emergency ELT transmissions. On receiving a signal, report the following information to the nearest air traffic facility:

A Your position at the time the signal was first heard.

B Your position at the time the signal was last heard.

C Your position at maximum signal strength.

D Your flight altitudes and frequency on which the emergency signal was heard: 121.5 MHz or 243.0 MHz. If possible, positions should be given relative to a navigation aid. If the aircraft has homing equipment, provide the bearing to the emergency signal with each reported position.

(Bolded mine).

As soon as I leave the traffic pattern, I switch to 121.5. In my career I've probably reported about a half dozen ELT's.

In addition, if the National Airspace System were ever shut down, due to a terrorist attack, let's say, I'd kinda like to know right away.

Of course, this does not apply if you have flight following or are otherwise taking to ATC or if you have a reason to be monitoring another frequency. Beyond that, monitoring 121.5 is a good idea.

Good article on it here: http://www.aviationchatter.com/2012/04/just-monitor-guard/

Why is it an "old habit?"

From the AIM:

6-2-5. Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT)

d. Inflight Monitoring and Reporting.

1. Pilots are encouraged to monitor 121.5 MHz and/or 243.0 MHz while inflight to assist in identifying possible emergency ELT transmissions. On receiving a signal, report the following information to the nearest air traffic facility:

A Your position at the time the signal was first heard.

B Your position at the time the signal was last heard.

C Your position at maximum signal strength.

D Your flight altitudes and frequency on which the emergency signal was heard: 121.5 MHz or 243.0 MHz. If possible, positions should be given relative to a navigation aid. If the aircraft has homing equipment, provide the bearing to the emergency signal with each reported position.

(Bolded mine).

As soon as I leave the traffic pattern, I switch to 121.5. In my career I've probably reported about a half dozen ELT's.

In addition, if the National Airspace System were ever shut down, due to a terrorist attack, let's say, I'd kinda like to know right away.

Of course, this does not apply if you have flight following or are otherwise taking to ATC or if you have a reason to be monitoring another frequency. Beyond that, monitoring 121.5 is a good idea.

Good article on it here: http://www.aviationchatter.com/2012/04/just-monitor-guard/

Ed,

Why is it an old habit? With only one radio I find it kinda hard to monitor 121.5 when 99% of my flights are with flight following, which is typically what I do when flying my 172.

Why not ask a question and wait for an answer?

As another option, if you have a big enough window, how about an external antenna mounted to a suction cup.

If and when you need it, just stick it outside.

Placement might be less than idea, but just a thought...

I do not find that as permanent an install as I would like.

Hi Chris,

All this of course is just a personal choice.

You can mount a antenna and run a separate cable to the cockpit for a handheld radio. It isn't rocket science and works well. Don't try and piggy back into you main radio cable as I have seen several times now that it causes problems.

I don't have a separate cable and just keep the handheld for that emergency on cross country flights because I should be close enough to not need the extra distance for an external antenna. If I'm local is have my cell phone for tower comms blue toothed into my Zulu 2 headset.

Archived