CTLSi FD Safety Alert - Grounding

Service Alert SA SA-ASTM-CTLS-04 Rotax 912iS (CTLSi Aircraft)

Monday 23 December, 2013 7:21 am | Uncategorized

Flight Design has issued a Mandatory Safety Alert (SA) issued December 19, 2013. For Fuel Injected CTLSi aircraft.

This Safety Alert requires you to determine, by reference to engine type – Rotax 912iS, if your aircraft has been affected. Detailed information is available on the Flight Design webpage: http://www.flightdes...hp?page=service, as contained in SA-ASTM-CTLS-04/ SA-LTUL-CTLS-04 documents. This Flight Design SA requires verification of ground wiring Lane A connection to regulator of Lane A prior to next flight. This verification may be done by the Owner / Operator. If your aircraft is not affected, this must be noted in the logbook that the SA is complied with by non-affectivity due to presence of non-conformance. For affected aircrafts, full compliance with SA-ASTM-CTLS-04/ SA-LTUL-CTLS-04 must be carried out and so noted in the logbook.

If you have a CTLSi and did not get an alert Email Please go to our Contact us to be sure we have the correct email address.

CTLSi Safety Alert.pdf

I don't happen to own a multimeter (...although I am considering buying one). I know just enough about electricity to know that I need help from someone more experienced because otherwise I might convince myself that I actually know what I am doing.

But if I had a fuel injected Rotax 912, I would be thankful that the personnel qualification for this safety alert was for owner/operator. That way I could get a local A&P to help me. If the safety alert required a "heavy maintenance" certified Rotax mechanic, I would really be grounded for a long time.

Just my two cents...

A multimeter should be in everybody's toolkit.

Nice digital ones at Radio Shack for $17.99 and up.

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032305&sr=1&origkw=multimeters

I own and like the 22-820. Can be set to beep on both opens and shorts (a continuity tester).

Really quite handy, though anything on that page would do.

Copy and paste from another forum,

Quote:

I saw on the SB-912i-002-is that there is a new software on ECU for the 912Is.

Can you tell me what are the effects on the engine ? Is it only for adjust some defects or to improve something?

Answer:

At first glance it looks like small improvements in buffering for warnings, better starting and faster switching to B generator.

I don't own a 912iS and (consequently) I don't have a dog in this fight. But I find an odd discrepancy between the anonymous quote from another forum posted by Roger and the statement below taken directly from the Service Alert:

"This mistake invalidates the internal redundancy feature of the 912iS engine. It does not lead to a direct malfunction of the engine, and cannot be detected by regular checking routines. It is nevertheless safety critical in case of a single failure on the engine, and therefore requires immediate checking."

Just my two cents.

Fred, it gets very confusing so a great attention to detail is needed. There is no SB-912i-002. There is however an SL-912i-002. It's a Service Letter not a Bulletin. It was put out by Rotax over a year ago, applies to all 912iS engines, and refers to the BRP diagnostic software on the ECU. (For a complete list I use the Rotax-Owner website.) Contrast that with SA-ASTM-CTLS-04, a Safety Alert, put out by FD a few days ago, applicable to all CTLSi, referring to possible incorrect wiring done by FD. (For a complete list I use flightdesign.com website http://www.flightdesign.com/index.php?page=service_doc_ctls_astm.)

The highlighting and emphasis are merely to make clear the differences as I understand them. Any experts on the forum are welcome to correct and/or improve upon my understanding.

The one I posted is totally different and was just an add on for information. It has nothing to do with FD's alert.

I was trying to keep everyone current and posted on changes.

The add on is just a computer software update just like you do at home. Anytime you buy something brand new out of the chute you should all ready know there will be updates or changes.

It's has been the nature of the beast our entire lives.

Lone Mountain has been looking at the CTLSi and can guide anyone to getting the check done. Took my CTLSi to a local shop and they had the check done with Lone Mountain on the phone in 10 minutes. Luckily, my plane didn't have the issue, and I got the maint. label for my log book free of charge.

These little factory scares are not welcome and I sure hope they don't continue. It's one thing to do wear and tear maint. another to constantly chase product defects and manufacturing screwups. No matter who is behind them, FD or Rotax, or other suppliers like Matco.

Buying the first production year of any vehicle is a risk. Ask us about the stabilator trim tab mods if you really want to hear about some pain.

Archived