Radio/Intercom problem

Ian

I have a CTLS with just under 400 hours on it. About a week ago I started experiencing a problem with

the intercom and and the radio.

The radio is a Garmin SL40, the intercom is a PS Engineering PM3000.

With two of us in the aircraft we suddenly stopped being able to hear each other or to hear clearly any transmission on the radio (sounded like Donald Duck with laryngitis). Unplugging one headset from the intercom sockets and plugging into the sockets on the centre console meant that one of us could then communicate perfectly well on the radio (so the radio is working fine), then once safely on the ground switching the radio off and plugging both headsets back into the intercom sockets and the intercom worked OK - but not the radio & intercom together!

Any ideas of where to start looking would be gratefully received.

Thanks for the replies, it's certainly a bit puzzling. The hint re the aux input is interesting, we do get the nice lady who lives in the Garmin 696 speaking to us so I presume that is via the intercom aux port.

Thanks for the replies, it's certainly a bit puzzling. The hint re the aux input is interesting, we do get the nice lady who lives in the Garmin 696 speaking to us so I presume that is via the intercom aux port.

Mine has never worked. I think they screwed up the intercomm wiring (or the 496 is bad). Can play music via the aux port, but have never been able to hear the 496 announcements (I know it's supposed to have them).

My plane might have been among the first off the assembly line, because I had to do rewiring on a couple other things too.

:) :) FIXED IT :) :)

So after much head scratching we decided to trace the wiring between the various units - for once lady luck smiled and we started at the right end!!

The only connection to the intercom is a 25 pin D-Connector. On disconnecting it and taking the cover off we found this:

icom01.jpg

So a bit of soldering and all is back to normal!!

Couldn't tell you the pin number, on the corner as in the picture!

Why solder? I didn't have any tool to get the pin out so just decided to solder it I don't think it will come out again LOL!!

RadioShack is of course an entirely US operation!

I take your point on soldering, but on dismantling the plug I think the fundamental problem was that it had been badly assembled in the first place with not enough free play in the wire, leading to strain on that particular connection, and the whole set of wires not being securely gripped by the housing - so, freeing up some extra length of wire, soldering it in place then putting enough insulation tape around so that the plug housing has a positive grip has (I hope) ensured that cable won't come free again.

Archived