How to plan flight from kentucky to arizona?

kentuckynet

Hello guys and gals...

My wife and i are planning on flying from western kentucky to page arizona in october.

My longest flight in time so far has been about 5 hours non stop along a route im very familiar with.

My question is this, is there a site or a program i can download that will let me look at the gps stright line i plan to fly...to let me see what airports are close,places i shouldnt fly over, fuel etc. I know i can put all the charts together and make a line and see what i will be near...but there has to be a simplier easier way....

Im not a paying member anywhere like eaa or any of these type organizations.

Im looking for a FREE service to show my flight path.....

Thanks for your help with my first post

mack

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With runwayfinder, just put your route in the search area, separated by semicolons... you'll get a nice route line and the ability to see it as a sectional, map, terrain, or satellite.

With google earth, for free, you can actually fly the route, at the same altitudes, and "see what you'll see". I never go anywhere without "pre-flying" in Google Earth. You can get free overlays that show airports, airspace, and even charts. You can even see live weather on Google earth. Get Google Earth here

Check out ChartGeek.com , where you can get a bunch of stuff for Google Earth... free current charts, airspace info, airports... or the whole DVD for $29

Not that you'd fly it straight... but here's what a point-to-point trip will look like khvc to kpga, from about 2,000 feet agl. After installing Google earth, just download the attached file and double-click. It looks like it's going to be pretty flat until you get out West!

For $249.... you can get this sweet little add-on.... Symbolic Flight... check it out...

More detail about Symbolic Flight

Tim

khvc-to-kpga.kmz

....Just using map reading and mainly trying to stay over the lowest and flatest terrain, would it be fair to say a safe and efficient route would generally be through West Texas, SSW to South Eastern NM, then W by El Paso to Tucson then to Page???

Thanks for all the advice....how would i know for sure the mountain height in my straight gps line to page?

I looked at the airports in the colorado mountain area and they seemed to be around 7700'...and im sure the mountains are still higher!

Its too long of a flight to go much out of the way....

mack

If you're concerned about crossing the mountains, an easy route would be more-or-less direct to KTCC (Tucumcari, NM), the take it mostly direct to Page staying a bit south maybe using KRQE as a waypoint. This keeps the terrain no higher than around 6500'.

In Google Earth, you are shown the altitude wherever the cursor is placed.... right at the bottom, just to the right of the Lat/Lon indicator. According my quick look at a straight line path you'll have to go over some mtns in Southern Colorado.... 9-ish. 'Shouldn't be a problem... you flying Sport or PPL? Only way to avoid some altitude would be to drop down towards Albq, then back up towards Farmington, then Page...

In any case it'll be a Nice Flight!!! That time of year weather could be perfect.

Tim

Thanks for all the advice....how would i know for sure the mountain height in my straight gps line to page?

I looked at the airports in the colorado mountain area and they seemed to be around 7700'...and im sure the mountains are still higher!

Landings.com's flight planning tool has an elevation profile and their charts can be color coded for elevation.

For example, here's the elevation profile for KHVC direct to KPGA.

profileplot.gif

I guess its just me, an IL flatlander, but my concern for mountains is turbulence and going down in rough remote/?survival type terrain if the rubber band should break?

You long distance/mountain flyers help me out please.

its good to be concerned about turbulence, it occurs on the leeward side of mountains, ridges ..etc. if wind speeds are above 20kts turbulence near the terrain can become meaningful.

rough terrain is what flying out of page is all about, no avoiding that.

Further to what CharlieTango wrote, my advise is to go as early as possible in the morning to cross the high terrain.

This may mean an overnight on the east side of the high terrain you intend to cross so you can plan your flight accordingly.

If conditions are >20 kts on the ground they can easily be much more than that aloft. An other important consideration is to check the winds at 12,000ft and see how strong they blow and from what direction. If the wind direction is perpendicular onto the direction of the ridge,and winds are strong you may have to reconsider the trip.

Usually the wind and turbulence is the worst on the leeward side, and once you have made it across it calms down on the upwind side (west typically).

Often pilots take a pass or valley to get through, which makes good sense. Expect the funnel effect on the east side which will abate going west. Keep a good eye on the difference between indicated airspeed and grounspeed from your gps to gauge the windspeed. If the difference is >25kts, be careful and consider other options like waiting a day or so.........

You will find the early morning start for this as the best opportunity to get over the "hump" and once on the other side (where the terrain becomes a high plateau) things should be fine.

Ranger,

once you have made it to Page, conditions really are pretty benign. Yes the terrain can be intimidating, but large areas are quite flat (although rugged)but trust me, ROTAX will pull you through, providing you give it enough to drink. Again , I am sure the organizors will do he early morning trips to avoid the daytime heating thermals.

Take your time getting there and stay high and safe flying over Colorado, Utah and New Mexico to Page and once there the group will take you under your wing where you can plan the routes, discuss the terrain and obstacles and fly in convoy with some of the other planes.

Once there and flying around the scenery, you will be amazed! Nothing you have ever seen before.

Page daytime temps in October are 70F-75F and lows are 50F-55F. Weather is usually perfect. Nothing challenging there. Just point it in the direction of travel and let it go. We fly in groups and each group has a leader.

This Fly-In is a piece of cake and unparalleled scenery any where in the US, not to mention everyone that shows up makes it even better. be prepared, lots of huggers in this group. ;)

Im surpised when i ask this questions to other pilota.....not many seem to know for sure...

How high (not legally) physically can i fly without having problems from the lack/reduced amount of oxygen?

I dont smoke and im in pretty good health!

Ive been at 11,000 for 45 minutes or so and didnt notice anything...

Thanks

Depends... but being in good health and non-smoker helps a lot. I've flown for hours at 12,500 (Idaho and Utah) without problems. ATC even had be jump up to 13,500 for a while. 'Flew as pax at 14,000 for about 1/2 hour, with no outward effects. BUT, it's not like "being drunk"... you won't notice a big difference. I've talked with folks who've done tests, where they thought everything was "normal", but after taking a whiff or two of oxygen, it was like someone had turned the lights on. A throw-away can of Oxygen might be good to take, just so you can get a few breaths at the peak.

Tim

How high (not legally) physically can i fly without having problems from the lack/reduced amount of oxygen?

People have climbed Mount Everest (29,029 feet) without oxygen. But, my understanding is that around 26,000 feet is the limit, above this point you use more oxygen than your body can replenish. At this height you're going to be suffering from altitude sickness.

Archived