RV-12 Fuel Tank SB

FlyingMonkey

John, it will be interesting to see your results from re-pitching. I'm currently at 5600 WOT and I apparently have a fast CTSW. My speeds match Andy's almost exactly with a top speed same as his of 126kias on cold days and climb on a cold day with just me onboard of 1300fpm @ 70kts. My friend who has a CTLS with glass cannot keep up with me and he verifies these speeds. This is all at 2500 to 3500 altitude. Actually, I'm considering flattening slightly more for a little more rpm at climbout. I currently am at 5050rpm now and notice fuel smell and see my carb drip trays have wet spots after flying. Rotax indicates lugging the engine during WOT climb can cause spitback from the carb inlet and I think this is my problem. Rotax says to shoot for 5150 or better to prevent this. The limit of where I will go with the pitch is to keep the engine speed below the 5800rpm "do not exceed" limit if I loose a spring in the throttle and the engine defaults to WOT.

Anticept's point about rigging is correct. I've spent some time to insure my flaps and ailerons are properly rigged.

John, it will be interesting to see your results from re-pitching. I'm currently at 5600 WOT and I apparently have a fast CTSW. My speeds match Andy's almost exactly with a top speed same as his of 126kias on cool to cold days and climb on a cold day with just me onboard of 1300fpm @ 70kts. My friend who has a CTLS with glass cannot keep up with me and he verifies these speeds. This is all at 2500 to 3500 altitude. Actually, I'm considering flattening slightly more for a little more rpm at climbout. I currently am at 5050rpm now and notice fuel smell and see my carb drip trays have wet spots after flying. Rotax indicates lugging the engine during WOT climb can cause spitback from the carb inlet and I think this is my problem. Rotax says to shoot for 5150 or better to prevent this. The limit of where I will go with the pitch is to keep the engine speed below the 5800rpm "do not exceed" limit if I loose a spring in the throttle and the engine defaults to WOT.

Anticept's point about rigging is correct. I've spent some time to insure my flaps and ailerons are properly rigged.

Dick, it sounds like you and I fly the same, I spend most of my time at 2500-4000 ft. The North GA mountains are nearby though, and if I want to go traveling to the North, I would need to be at 6500-8500ft to comfortably clear them. If you are getting the same speeds as me with a maximum of 5600rpm, if you flatten for 5700ish you should beat the pants off me!

John, it will be interesting to see your results from re-pitching. I'm currently at 5600 WOT and I apparently have a fast CTSW. My speeds match Andy's almost exactly with a top speed same as his of 126kias on cold days and climb on a cold day with just me onboard of 1300fpm @ 70kts. My friend who has a CTLS with glass cannot keep up with me and he verifies these speeds. This is all at 2500 to 3500 altitude. Actually, I'm considering flattening slightly more for a little more rpm at climbout. I currently am at 5050rpm now and notice fuel smell and see my carb drip trays have wet spots after flying. Rotax indicates lugging the engine during WOT climb can cause spitback from the carb inlet and I think this is my problem. Rotax says to shoot for 5150 or better to prevent this. The limit of where I will go with the pitch is to keep the engine speed below the 5800rpm "do not exceed" limit if I loose a spring in the throttle and the engine defaults to WOT.

I'm about the same as you on speeds and climb. On a day in the 40's I can hit 125 to 128 and climb at 1200 to 1300. However, I wouldn't give 2 cents for the accuracy of these instruments especially speed since my ground speed doesn't support the readings. On a "standard" day, of course, it won't give these numbers.

Archived