Foreflight

Al Downs

I currently use ForeFlight and my subscription runs out at the end of the month. ForeFlight does not provide mogas information. I have contacted them several times and asked about it. This past week I asked again and as I read between the lines, they seem to be saying they never will.

Trying to plan a cross country trip using mogas would be a big help to have the information all in one program. They already gather the info for Jet and Avgas but won't add the mogas.

Does anyone know if the similar programs available provide mogas information? Not concerned with price but with availability. I might be better off to go to another program and drop ForeFlight.

I have had Foreflight for a couple of years. I changed to Wing -X back in October. I like it a lot better than Foreflight and has a lot more user friendly info. I have showed it to 4 others and they have all switched over too. I don't worry about Mogas on cross country flights. Most of it is only 87 oct amend to big a pain to mix with 100LL. For the little 100LL most ever use on a cross country compared to the life of the engine it is insignificant.

I have to second Roger's comment about the 87 octane. I had an A&P mechanic (not the unknowing teenage line guy) fill my plane with 87 octane even though I have placards by both fuel intake ports. I found out later their MOGAS was 87 octane. So far, It appears that I am "lucky" that the compressions were fine at the next annual. Still I wonder...

There is a web site that suggests that there are fair number of airports with MOGAS across the country. But, after checking deeper I found that most of them are 87 octane not 91.

So far, I'm two out of three.

If I head SE, Barnwell, SC had high test MOGAS last time through.

When I headed to Lock Haven for the Cub thing, Mountain Empire, VA did as well.

But when I specifically landed at Winter Haven, FL, it was 87.

I just noticed that as I just checked the above in Airnav, more MOGAS airports seemed to pop up in my search results.

So...

1) Airnav is easy to use, and free. WingXPro7 has an optional fuel database, but I don't know if it includes MOGAS and anyway, with Airnav I don't see the need, though I guess the integration would be nice if you traveled a lot.

2) Always call ahead to verify the octane, especially if you're going out of your way, and...

3) Mixing 87 MOGAS and 100LL should give you acceptable octane with lower lead if you don't mind the hassle, though I've never done that.

Archived