Snarky Free Zone

Admin

There have been some complaints about the tone of the Forum recently. One complainer described it best: Snarkiness. And, upon reflection, I'd have to agree that Snarky comments are often the point at which our threads seem to go South.

snark·y (snärprime.gifkemacr.gif)

adj. snark·i·er, snark·i·est Slang

Rudely sarcastic or disrespectful; snide.

Irritable or short-tempered; irascible.

So, in an attempt to keep the discussions on track, and stop the degradation of the threads, how about stopping for a moment BEFORE You post, and re-read your comment. Is it snarky?... if so, how about re-thinking it before hitting "Post".

I think a good forum rule is no complaining. Snarkiness or making quips has been a problem since the first online forum was created. The reason for this is people have different personalities. Thier personality and where they are from effect the way they write. It also effects the way a person takes the words when they read it. I would bet that more times than not when someone thinks a post was snarky there was no intent in making a snarky remark by the poster, and if there was so be it. I don't want to see name calling or personal attacks, but there needs to some room for personality to show through. I don't just want to see a bunch of post that look like they could have been written by mind numb robots.

I've been to 4 CT fly-ins and found everyone to be friendly and enjoyable. If there is no need to censor us in real life there is no need on this forum either.

One one hand you have complaints from members who are in the 'constitutional right to not be offended' camp and on the other hand you have people like me that express themselves in ways that some people will find reason to take offense to. Why do complainers win? The Censorship not only reduces the amount of information conveyed it often lets erroneous information stand while censoring someone that is refuting it.

There have been some complaints about the tone of the Forum recently. One complainer described it best: Snarkiness. And, upon reflection, I'd have to agree that Snarky comments are often the point at which our threads seem to go South.

snark·y(snärprime.gifkemacr.gif)

adj. snark·i·er, snark·i·est Slang

Rudely sarcastic or disrespectful; snide.

Irritable or short-tempered; irascible.

So, in an attempt to keep the discussions on track, and stop the degradation of the threads, how about stopping for a moment BEFORE You post, and re-read your comment. Is it snarky?... if so, how about re-thinking it before hitting "Post".

With all due respect Sir, you are preaching to the choir.

Here's a suggestion.

Why don't you have a serious talk (or another one) with the one individual on this forum that is the customary source of most of those "snarky" comments? Why not go right to the source?

The dude really needs to clean up his act.

On the one hand, "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" - Oscar Wilde

On the other hand, "Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them..." - Thomas Jefferson

I kind of like barbed humor, including snarkiness.

But I will do my best not to degrade the level of discourse here.

I promise.

Hi Ed,

I disagree. There has to be some rules of decency and mutual respect or you're no better than the offender and may be worse because you allowed simple words (which can't hurt you) to cause an out of controlled response.

Walk away.

In the large scheme of things it really means nothing in your life time. You allow it to bother you. No one can make it bother you. Words come and go and you won't remember after a while anyway.

This isn't the press and it is more or less a privately run forum. The first amendment is not guaranteed every where and your verbal out burst should be tethered to some moral and intellectual weather vane. If you don't believe that look at all the politicians that bit the dust in the last 50 years from saying the wrong thing. If you think freedom of speech is every where. Go into a nice restaurant or a courthouse and start yelling 4 letter words and see how long you stay there. Better yet get a traffic ticket and go tell the judge off and when he tells you to be quite keep talking. There are rules of moral decency every where.

Give someone full anonymity and that get un-inhibited and make fools of themselves.

Most people in person don't tend to be snarky towards others. When emailing, people seem to enjoy some anonymity towards others they may never meet. The clutch that seems to work between brain and mouth in person seems to work, but the clutch between brain and fingers don't. I'm with the admin. If you wouldn't talk to your mother that way then it may be a good idea to use your literary genius and years of schooling to rephrase and get the same message across. We are all more than capable to show good judgement and literary prowess. Most of us are put off in person when we have come across someone that uses 4 letter words every other word, so we tend not to be around and stay away. There is no difference here when we attack others. You lower yourself to that level and look just as bad as the original offender. Forums that have allowed posters to flame others and let this get out of hand have suffered greatly. This is too good a forum to allow inflammatory behavior. We have enjoyed this forum and all prospered because we have a set of moral decency and mutual respect rules and there is no reason to change that and cause people to leave that are offended by the 1-2 that may be the cause.

We as a group can deal with those in other non self degrading ways and keep our forum a cut above the literary poor forums.

Are more intelligent than attackers or not? I have learned to be better than that. It's your choice.

p.s. ;)

I would rather meet them in person and put my hands around their neck because typed words doesn't get there attention like not breathing. :lol:.

Worked for me for 45 years in the street. When I retired this is the one thing I missed. :P

Sounds like threat? You beat me to it. With such a small community the veil of anonymity will soon be drawn back and......well you can add what you will.

No bar fight, just a gentlemen's agreement to be civil and respectful. It's admin hoping everyone will exercise better judgement in the future. It's what made us a good forum in the first place. It's something we should have never had to talk about to start with , so let's hope it dies right here.

Hi Ed,

I disagree. There has to be some rules of decency and mutual respect or you're no better than the offender and may be worse because you allowed simple words (which can't hurt you) to cause an out of controlled response.

Walk away.

In the large scheme of things it really means nothing in your life time. You allow it to bother you. No one can make it bother you. Words come and go and you won't remember after a while anyway.

This isn't the press and it is more or less a privately run forum. The first amendment is not guaranteed every where and your verbal out burst should be tethered to some moral and intellectual weather vane. If you don't believe that look at all the politicians that bit the dust in the last 50 years from saying the wrong thing. If you think freedom of speech is every where. Go into a nice restaurant or a courthouse and start yelling 4 letter words and see how long you stay there. Better yet get a traffic ticket and go tell the judge off and when he tells you to be quite keep talking. There are rules of moral decency every where.

Give someone full anonymity and that get un-inhibited and make fools of themselves.

Most people in person don't tend to be snarky towards others. When emailing, people seem to enjoy some anonymity towards others they may never meet. The clutch that seems to work between brain and mouth in person seems to work, but the clutch between brain and fingers don't. I'm with the admin. If you wouldn't talk to your mother that way then it may be a good idea to use your literary genius and years of schooling to rephrase and get the same message across. We are all more than capable to show good judgement and literary prowess. Most of us are put off in person when we have come across someone that uses 4 letter words every other word, so we tend not to be around and stay away. There is no difference here when we attack others. You lower yourself to that level and look just as bad as the original offender. Forums that have allowed posters to flame others and let this get out of hand have suffered greatly. This is too good a forum to allow inflammatory behavior. We have enjoyed this forum and all prospered because we have a set of moral decency and mutual respect rules and there is no reason to change that and cause people to leave that are offended by the 1-2 that may be the cause.

We as a group can deal with those in other non self degrading ways and keep our forum a cut above the literary poor forums.

Are more intelligent than attackers or not? I have learned to be better than that. It's your choice.

i don't know why you are making personal comments about me nor do I know what you are talking about. Its the beginning of the year and we just got 80,000 pages of new regulations from our federal govt bureaucrats. We don't need them and we don't need rules and enforcement here telling us how to communicate.

Before the Internet I learned that I liked discussing sundry items with pilots on a CompuServe forum. Now I can find some of the same on Pilots of America's spin zone, here I get censored for using the world cereal. I like discussions with pilots because we are unique in various ways and the conversations are more interesting then talking to the public in general. Pilots are more civil for one thing even if you feel additional censorship is needed. When you censor you through the baby out with the bathwater. This country was founded on freedom of speech, I"m not used to leaving that at the door, I don't see the point.

The yelling fire in a crowded theater argument doesn't apply.

For me the whole point of this discussion is that some people take all comments by others to heart and then retaliate with comments about the one that started it. If you don't like the tone, ignore it. If you disagree with the subject, counter with your thoughts. It does not need to get personal. I enjoy this forum and have learned a lot. It just gets old trying to read between all the lines of "snarkiness".

It's usually THAT guy who thinks HE has the BEST plane, the BEST GPS, the BEST this, the BEST that…you know, THAT guy who knows it all, is right and therefore you're wrong, even though his experience level indicates otherwise. Who tells you how HE's done things that scare you but HE still knows best? He'll tell you how HE did something dumb and then pop up and lecture others right from the manual which therefore proves that HE's right and so YOU are just SO wrong, because HE knows because HE just read the book.

If you comment about YOUR plane, or YOUR equipment, that guy will drop buy and tell you how HIS stuff is better and proceed to tell YOU and everyone else how YOUR plane etc is junk and rubbish and that HIS plane is the BEST of the BEST…because HE bought one.

You know…THAT guy.

In the world of grown-ups and airmen, skilled craftsmen and technicians, pilots and aviators…it really just leaves a bad odor in the room. Yes we can try and ignore it…but it still smells bad.

It's New Year. Let's see how long we can go from NOW…before we hear something negative and, well snarky, from THAT guy!

Come on man..YOU can do better. Yeah…YOU!

When I started posting here, I quickly got turned off by all the snarky responses. You couldn't make a comment without someone coming after you. Many people wanted to have a productive conversation, but others just wanted to play a strange game of "gotcha."

Do you mean how we sometimes get pedantic? ;)

I admit we get a little too crazy sometimes, but for the most part people have respected my request to not get too heavy into nitpicking when I really wasn't up for it.

One person has changed the character of the forum. We were always able to disagree and discuss things on their merits based on our experience. Much of what is being reacted to is overstated and misinformed, or the use of words like "stupid" or "loser" and other disparaging and condescending words. Those who react are blamed for being "snarky."

Pedantic:

1: of, relating to, or being a pedant(see pedant)

2: narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned

3: unimaginative, pedestrian

Pedantic? ... more mean spirited, petty, pompous, arrogant, hair-splitting, pretentious, mocking, spurious, sarcastic, disingenious, patronizing, condescending, disdainful, snooty, complaisant...more like that...

Thank you for your perfect example of the breed. <_<

"... more mean spirited, petty, pompous, arrogant, hair-splitting, pretentious, mocking, spurious, sarcastic, disingenious,……."

​Mea culpa?

Seriously…can't we get beyond the childish repose, and enter the world of the grown ups?

This is a great forum…why hurt people's feelings?

Anticept and Moving On, I think your last post were dirrected at me, and I am OK with that. I have been in this aviation business for about 35 years now, and I am not afraid to challenge something if I don't think it is correct. It may seem like being picky, but I have learned in aviation you need to be careful of the words you use.

Anticept and Moving On, I think your last post were dirrected at me, and I am OK with that. I have been in this aviation business for about 35 years now, and I am not afraid to challenge something if I don't think it is correct. It may seem like being picky, but I have learned in aviation you need to be careful of the words you use.

There's a few that did it, but so far you've all been respectful when I stated we are getting too nit-picky. You mean well so it doesn't bother me :). With that said, you're still pretty cool in my book!

Archived