Saw this on Barnstormers this morning

Al Downs

Do you want to read it again? The point I made is pretty clear. Let me say it another way maybe it will be clearer.

Whats the difference between a 1957 Chevy Corvette (one of the most sought after and elegant cars ever made) and a 2014 Chevy Corvette (the latest incarnation of a long line of winners).

The 57 Vette was first to offer fuel injection. And GM offered it in a small block V8 producing 290hp in an all fiberglass car body. The little Vette also had power windows, power rooftop, and a racing suspension. Oh and there was the first Delco Radio with a transistorized (transistors were brand new) signal-seeking (hybrid) car radio. Launching the car past all the sports cars being offered by Britain and Europe. Price adjusted for inflation $ 30k.

The 2014 Vette (Stingray) is more jet aircraft than car. It has a gas stingy 28mpg 450hp fuel injected LT1 engine that goes 0-60 in 3.9 secs. The engine can turn off cylinders to save gas.

• Seating with lightweight magnesium frames for exceptional support, and eight-way power adjustment
  • Five-position Drive Mode Selector that tailors up to 12 vehicle attributes
  • New seven-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching
  • 6.2L LT1 V-8 engine with direct injection, Active Fuel Management, continuously variable valve timing and an advanced combustion system
  • Carbon fiber hood on all models, and a carbon fiber removable roof panel on coupes
  • Aluminum frame that is 99 pounds lighter (45 kg) and 57-percent stiffer than the previous model’s structure
  • Advanced, high-intensity discharge (HID) and light-emitting diode (LED) lighting
  • Dual, eight-inch configurable driver/infotainment screens, with next-generation Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system and rear vision camera
  • Bose nine-speaker audio system with SiriusXM Satellite radio, Bluetooth connectivity, USB and SD card and auxiliary input jack
  • Keyless access with push-button start
  • Power tilt/telescope steering wheel
  • An all-new, fully electronic top on the convertible that can be lowered remotely using the key fob

Price? $50k.

A similar analogy can be made for an airplane made in 1957 like the Cessna 180 I mentioned with all steam guages, and the Flight Design CTLSi with dual Dynons, Garmin 796 GPS. The FD CTLSi highly advanced all aluminum and fuel injected 912i 3gph Mogas engine compared to the iron clunker Continental O-470-A carbed engine burning 10gph 100LL.

But it remains to be seen if history will judge the 2014 Corvette to be like the 1957 vette or more like the Yugo. Your CTLSi might end up as the Edsel of aviation. Only time will tell...

If I was willing to renew my medical, I would rather have the Cessna 180 and my Android tablet, Dual XGPS170, and SkyGuard transmitter.

Me, too. It will get you more places, faster, and with more comfort. As for burning more gas, either I spend it now or my kids will spend it later!

It's a yellow CT2K and is in the hangar across from me.

Hi Rodger,

Per a post I'm putting up a few minutes from now in Random Thoughts,.... I'm actually interested in that aircraft. So curious if you know anything more about it or have any impression about its state of service, etc?). Have you done service on it?

Private reply OK if you prefer not to let me hijack this thread's main point.

Alex

Archived