Choosing Tires, requesting opinions

FlyingMonkey

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy,

Remember to check the clearance from the fork on any new tire you put on the nose. When I changed mine awhile back the new dresser would bind on the nose fork, so had to go back to the original tire. BTW I do not notice wear since I operate mostly on sod.

You Georgia boys might be putting ground glass in tar and calling it asphalt.

I'm sure that Roger Lee would be able to answer any questions you might have but if he's not available, I'll give it my best shot. 734.512.3467. Installation is pretty straight forward except for torquing the axle nuts. Be sure to read the directions for "Axle Nut Torque". If Matco is still supplying bearings with a grease seal, the axle nut is not tightened and then backed off to the the next cotter pin hole as is usually done.

I'm sure that Roger Lee would be able to answer any questions you might have but if he's not available, I'll give it my best shot. 734.512.3467. Installation is pretty straight forward except for torquing the axle nuts. Be sure to read the directions for "Axle Nut Torque". If Matco is still supplying bearings with a grease seal, the axle nut is not tightened and then backed off to the the next cotter pin hole as is usually done.

I'm probably not going to make a 27 point laser alignment setup, if that's what you mean by "straight forward"... ;)

Hi Andy,

I'll bet you won't need to do anything , but take some of the camber out. I ALWAYS add one washer on CTSW's as a shim on the bottom two bolts on the mount and sometimes add a second if that plane is real bad. I rarely have to mess with toe in and out. Just make the tire sit in a more natural flatter profile should make a difference. Fixing the camber usually takes care of it. Just do that first and see if that makes a difference. My bet is it will.

Just curious...

...is any of this at all critical?

I'm thinking of cars where a precise amount of toe-in is specified for stability - too little and the handling can get squirrelly.

Has anyone ever gone "too far" in toe-in or camber, to the point that it affected handling, and not just tire wear?

Hi Eddie,

I have been able to see what happens to other aircraft when it was too far out. I haven't seen any with handling issues, just usually scrubs the tire quicker. I have seen some tires scrub in 50 hrs of use. Some 100 hrs. My tires usually last around 400 hrs. This of course is all just speculation because what really makes a difference how many landings and touch and goes pilots make, if the wheels are balanced and how much brake people use. Brakes can do a lot of tire damage by scuffing.

Just curious...

I'm thinking of cars where a precise amount of toe-in is specified for stability - too little and the handling can get squirrelly.

Has anyone ever gone "too far" in toe-in or camber, to the point that it affected handling, and not just tire wear?

Eddie, tire wear is the biggest problem with a tricycle gear airplane, but if it is out on a conventional gear airplane you have problems.

Just curious...

Wheels are there to just keep the plane off the ground. We don't try to do turns on the ground at speed. I can see a crazy amount of toe-out causing squirreliness though!

Camber also affects handling...negative camber (what my CTSW has now) increases handling response, positive camber increases stability. I'm hoping taking out the negative camber will increase the stability of my airplane after touchdown and into the rollout. It's not bad now, but better is...better!

Camber also affects handling...negative camber (what my CTSW has now) increases handling response, positive camber increases stability. I'm hoping taking out the negative camber will increase the stability of my airplane after touchdown and into the rollout. It's not bad now, but better is...better!

Whoa! Right now you can blame the wheels. If you fix this problem who ya gonna blame? :) (:

Tom, I meant that as a joke...as in I don't get a good three wheel drift on the corners! Must have been too subtle.

I guess it went over my head.

the reason I ask is because the 2 CTLS's that I have flown with tundra gear did not turn as nicely on the ground as the standard sear CTLS.

Archived