Do they make an inline fuel check valve?

kentuckynet

My ctsw leans to one side and i really dont plan on fixing it....the fuel drains into the other tank and if they are full runs out the vent over the leading edge and drips off the underneath side of the wing.....what a mess!

The lines leaving each wing tank could easily have a valve that would only let fues travel one way......

Do they make such a beast?

Really dont care what Fd thinks....just wanted your thoguhts...

kentucky

Hi Mac,

FD had a fuel selector valve years ago, but got rid of it due to people just forgot to switch in time or had a low fuel issue in one tank, slipped the plane some and sloshed the couple of gallons left in one wing outboard and starved for fuel even though the other tank was full. If you had an ELSA you could put a fuel selector valve in place, but may need to do a little rerouting on fuel lines. I usually never put over 15 gal. in each wing on my plane and only if I am going cross country I may put 16.5 in each wing. 15 gals. will take you a long ways and never have to even mess with a selector valve.

Hi Mack,

These might work I just don't know. If they take any real flow or pressure to work then they won't work. The flow from one side of our wing to the other is so slow and non pressured that they may not seal. It would take a little testing, of which I would do off the plane with fuel in some buckets or something.

My ctsw leans to one side and i really dont plan on fixing it....the fuel drains into the other tank and if they are full runs out the vent over the leading edge and drips off the underneath side of the wing.....what a mess!

The lines leaving each wing tank could easily have a valve that would only let fues travel one way......

Do they make such a beast?

Really dont care what Fd thinks....just wanted your thoguhts...

kentucky

are you talking about in flight or when parked?

Those checkvalves need 1 PSI and the drop of ~2ft from fuel pick-up to gascolator has only about 0.7PSI so you would end up not being able to drain the tanks completely. Bent gear is pretty serious though. I doubt insurance would cover an accident with a pre-existing condition like that. And Aluminum strength is pretty dicey once it is plastically deformed. I'd get it replaced.

Archived