8th. Annual page, AZ Fly-In

Roger Lee

Did you guys do the flour bombing and spot landing contest? There was a fellow on Sportpilottalk.com who said he flew to the location, but no one was around.

Sadly, we missed Pete at Cal Black. We were there, but the event didn't start until after he left. Communication errors. We knew the event didn't start until 12:30, but he didn't. We all had a 7:30-8:00 departure for a morning flight, then went to Cal Black after returning. Next year we might make it a longer event that includes breakfast and a ferry ride.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was pleasure meeting you both and hope we can see each other sooner than later!

Hope your RV7A project will be successful! Glad you guys made back safely!

p

Likewise, we watched your progress and were very impressed with your first days distance. We will be emailing some pics soon, Chris is handling that. I'm sure we'll meet again!

The raft trip that a number of us took on the Colorado River below the dam the day before the start of the fly-in, going down several miles, is always a great way to start.  This year's float was particularly good as there was an abundance of wildlife.  For those of you who have not done this it comes highly recommended!  We have a lot of fun, it is a great ice breaker for first time attendees, and you see a piece of spectacular and unique American geography.  Consider it when you plan for next year's CT Fly-in…

post-10-0-11805700-1413870803_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-92621600-1413870825_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-97154700-1413870840_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-83094200-1413870862_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-00129400-1413870876_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-33697000-1413870941_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-83188300-1413870958_thumb.jpg

I will second that. Your progress was really something to see…so good to see your confidence as pilots build over the days you flew.

Hi John,

It is all thanks to you, Wayne, Emmitt and Lee.

If you and Wayne did not offer to fly together on the first day, it would've been a disaster.

It is too bad we had to leave so early...but, next year, we will take an additional days to make it right.

Friday to Bryce was an amazing experience with you leading the pack and 210RR monitoring us from the top.

That was really fun and educational flight for us...

Here is some thoughts on the next year's event.

1. Rotax / CT general discussion by Roger

2. Formation flight general discussion by John

I don't know about anyone else, but I would pay to participate on both.

Then we can all share concerns, good ideas, experiences in person.

Things we learned from you and Emmitt are;

a. PIC need to focus on the ac in front at all times

b. Not to make any abrupt thruttle movements

c. Bleed off forward movement by small turns and climb

d. Communicate your position especially if you don't see others

Things we need to improve for the next year is TURNS.

Well, thanks again John. You made our trip more meaningful and educational.

Also thanks to everyone who gave us positive support. We hope to one day be able to guild and help others as you all have done for us. It was truly appreciated. Much love and respect to you all.

Thanks again, hope to see you sooner than next year event!

As an eastern "flat lander", I am absolutely blown away by the scenery of the Page Flyin. It's almost like another world.  Thanks to all for sharing.

Willing to share your success?

Thanks... Nothing magic there. I look at my stuff and wish it could look like C-Icey's videos. Having good scenery is helpful, and and a good solid mount is essential. I use a neutral density filter to help blur the prop. These were shot at 1080 , 30fps. Wide. I used about 10% video enhancement in in the editing software (power director) and a slight adjustment in color saturation.

If there is a better place to fly for visually stunning scenery, I want to know where it is!

I didn't know this before we flew to Page...

But here is the Mogas stations in the US.

http://www.flyunleaded.com/mapusairports.html

Be careful using the above website. It does not indicate which mogas airports have 91 octane or better. Most do not and you're likely to do damage with a full tank of lower octane fuel.

Here's a better site: http://www.flyunleaded.com/airports.php

But even here be careful. It lists Cal Black as having 91 octane but when I flew by 2 months ago they waved me off saying all they had was 87. What did the fly-in find there?

Two months ago it said Kyle-Oakley Field in Murray, Kentucky had 91 octane, but when I arrived the autogas was 87. I had to mix it 50-50 with 100 LL. The manager told me he had switched to 91 octane a year ago and had no higher sales as a result but had to pay an extra 40 cents for it so he switched back. I see in that case the site has been updated now.

Conclusion: Use the fly unleaded web site to plan your trip, but verify the octane before pumping it in your wing.

Mike Koerner

Be careful using the above website. It does not indicate which mogas airports have 91 octane or better. Most do not and you're likely to do damage with a full tank of lower octane fuel.

Here's a better site: http://www.flyunleaded.com/airports.php

But even here be careful. It lists Cal Black as having 91 octane but when I flew by 2 months ago they waved me off saying all they had was 87. What did the fly-in find there?

Two months ago it said Kyle-Oakley Field in Murray, Kentucky had 91 octane, but when I arrived the autogas was 87. I had to mix it 50-50 with 100 LL. The manager told me he had switched to 91 octane a year ago and had no higher sales as a result but had to pay an extra 40 cents for it so he switched back. I see in that case the site has been updated now.

Conclusion: Use the fly unleaded web site to plan your trip, but verify the octane before pumping it in your wing.

Mike Koerner

It was 87 at Cal Black too.

Archived