A Raging Debate... IFR, IMC, VMC, and LSA

S3flyer

Dan Johnson (http://www.bydanjohnson.com/) has some details on LSA and IMC. An interesting statement that since the current fleet of LSA's aren't prohibited from IFR/IMC, then the FAA allows it (if appropriately equipped). So what happens to the current fleet when the FAA adopts the ASTM's recommendation to prohibit IFR/IMC until their is a consensus standard? Would it only apply to 'new' LSA since our airworthiness certificates DON'T prohibt IFR/IMC?

Mostly a theoretical debate for me. I'm not going to drop the $$$ to get IFR-certified avionics nor do I really want to fly hard IFR (in IMC) anymore -- been there done that. I would like a new IFR rating that would allow shooting through a layer that was say 1000'. Call it 'Sport IFR' rolleyes.gif Never gonna happen, though.

You can train IFR now and Actually you could fly real IFR if you dropped your plane into the E-LSA category. Just as with other experimentals, you don't need TSOd instruments but would need to add a VOR to be minimally compliant. FAR 91.205 is surprisingly easy to meet but you do need a VOR.

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/rules-regulations-flight-safety-better-pilots/3329-ifr-instruments.html

Something like the sporty's 400 would work if mounted somehow. I actually talked to the local FSDO about the transition and an FAA examiner and both concurred that it would work for them; specifically I wanted to know if the examiner would accept the training and let me do the IFR checkride in an E-LSA (he would). It's just a checkbox on the form faa8130-6 for the FSDO but there are obvious insurance and resale ramifications.

I believe Dan Johnson was claiming that you COULD file/fly IFR (in IMC) today if your LSA bird is appropriately equipped. No need to go to E-LSA.

Not true but here's the only reason why: FD does not approve it and they are gospel as the manufacturer if you want to stay in S-LSA. They approve IFR now actually, just not actual flight in IMC. In E-LSA conversions the airworthiness certificate reflects what the OEM initially listed as restrictions which for CT's are none. They could have gotten an AC that said Day/night VFR and then you would have had to do a whole series of flight testing to approve it for IFR, but luckily no.

The VOR needs to be mounted accorign to the CFRs but I know from my experience with IFR homebuilts that a yoke mount or even velcro to the panel is accepted. Just can't be a vertex radio sitting in your lap.

Archived