fire extinguisher replacement?

kentuckynet

You don't need anything special. Just one for flammable liquids. Most are all powder extinguishers for flammable liquids. After being a Fireman for 28 years I realised the one in the CT really isn't suffient on a real engine fire. I replaced it with a larger one and keep it in the floor storage under our feet. Try getting the one behind the seat out quickly in a panic or especially if someone were sitting in the seat. Most flammable liquid extingushers knock the fire down, but have no cooling capacity so the fire will flame back up and by then you have run out and all you can do is watch it burn. Catch the fire early and tag it hard. If you don't aim the extingusher at the base of the flames you may not even knock it down. This is one of those cases that more is better. Places like Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Costco or Lowes will have what you need. Keep it where you can get it fast and easily.

Good question for the fireman... what do you think of the new TUNDRA extinguisher, from First Alert? It's small, and claims to fight the fire for 4 Times longer than traditional extinguishers. They say it is good for "paper, wood, fabric, cooking oils and electrical fires". How about for the hangar? I've seen two-packs sold at Costco.

But I remember reading a review, in a consumer magazine, that was less-than-glowing.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Sorry

This isn't a good option. One they don't mention flammable liquids. For the most part they only talk about class "A" type fires. Stick with a dry powder extinguisher for class "B" fires. This isn't a good one for the hanger either. You are better off at the hanger to have some source of water, even a water extinguisher for all class "A" fires and a dry powder for fuels, oils and solvents. The powder extinguishers of today are usually good for type A, B and C fires. Powder works better on flammable liquids, but not as good on things like paper or wood because it has no cooling properties like water does. You can get H2O or water extinguishers fairly cheap. If you have a water faucet in the hanger buy a hose. The main problem in the hanger will most likely trying to put out a fuel or solvent fire so a decent size dry powder is a better choice.

It's hard to find, but the literature says it has more extinguishing power than a typical large 2.5lb 1-A,10-B,C, powder unit. (whatever that meansmellow.gif).

It goes on to say it is equivalent to a UL-rated ABC extinguisher, but because of testing/regulatory issues there is no UL rating system for this "new" type of extinguisher.

Just wondering because it looks like it would fit in the "behind the seat" pouch, or easily in the footlocker. And cheap, too.

http://www.brkelectronics.com/BRK%20images/Tundra%20Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.pdf

Tim

Hi Mack,

That would work just fine. See you went to Lowes and not Ace. That will teach you. :lol: I prefer one that is bigger than what comes in the plane, but fits easily in the foot well. To me in this case bigger is better, but it needs to be easy to get to so don't make it fit into a foot well too tight. It needs to come out quick and easy. Don't bury it in the luggage compartment under 500 lbs of gear either. You can pick up First Alert extinguishers a lot of local places. I know Costco has some very nice hanger size extinguishers for around $30. For me an extinguisher is not a place to skimp a few bucks.

Here is first Alert website:

http://www.firstalertstore.com/store/categories/first-alert-fire-extinguishers.htm

The white 5B,C is the same as the Red 5 B,C from what I can tell.

I would get the 3A / 40 B,C for the hanger

Try not to use this product because it means your having a bad day! <_<

We dont have cosco's, true values or any other stores that are in any of the other 49 states.

population 65,000 all are usually in walmart at the same time!!!

we have a walmart, kmart, home depot 45 miles away.

looks like mail order only.....

thanks for the advice...im just going to get the one on ebay.

Hi Tim,

Sorry

This isn't a good option. One they don't mention flammable liquids. For the most part they only talk about class "A" type fires. Stick with a dry powder extinguisher for class "B" fires. This isn't a good one for the hanger either. You are better off at the hanger to have some source of water, even a water extinguisher for all class "A" fires and a dry powder for fuels, oils and solvents. The powder extinguishers of today are usually good for type A, B and C fires. Powder works better on flammable liquids, but not as good on things like paper or wood because it has no cooling properties like water does. You can get H2O or water extinguishers fairly cheap. If you have a water faucet in the hanger buy a hose. The main problem in the hanger will most likely trying to put out a fuel or solvent fire so a decent size dry powder is a better choice.

How about a small or medium Halon extinguisher?

Halon is going by the wayside. It was a good choice for electrical fires in an enclosed space. i.e. computer rooms, servers, sensitive electrical components, ect... The problem in our cabin if you were to use it is Halon displaces the oxygen. Then you won't have to worry about the fire. If you use it outside the wind blows it away from the fire. You are better off for flammable liquids to use a dry powder extinguisher.

Archived