Departure from Peter O Knight Tampa

mocfly

Had to go to Tampa on business and found this lovely airport located 5 minutes from my hotel which was 2 minutes walking distance from the client. 

This airport reminded me alot of Knoxville Downtown Island. You have to be vigilant when taking off from RWY 22 or you will find yourself violating Macdill Air Force Base Airspace. With the CT it is a non event due to great short field performance. 

If you get to the Tampa area you really need to fly into this airport. 

Yeah, Wish I had the camera.

Hangar doors sealed in solid ice with a snow/ice overhang of three feet above the doors.

I don't know how it didn't break off.

North facing hangars are nasty here in PA. South side hangars were accessible. I couldn't get inside.....period!

I am at a larger airport (KFAR). I pay more for my hangar but the FBO digs me out, and uses some sort of turbine blower to thaw all the ice in front of my door. I feel like a pest sometimes when I call them, but I guess I pay for it. (It is also nice to have two runways rather than one which would not be the case at the smaller airports in the area.)

I had to move my airplane from MPO, within a common heated hangar, when they raised the monthly fee from $220 to $325.

They grouped all single engine aircraft into one category. Previously we paid by the aircraft size, wing span + length X $4.25

The larger singles saw only a small increase while the smaller singles, like mine, went up significantly.

I really miss the easy access, clean hangar and duel runways but the increase was to much.

Archived