iPad Remount

FlyingMonkey

Previously, my iPad was on a suction cup on the pilot's side window.  This is easy and convenient...until you have to open the door, then you have to unplug and remove the iPad from the mount to make sure you don't drop it on the tarmac.  

A couple of days ago I re-mounted the iPad using the same hardware, but I put a 1" RAM ball on the side of the mushroom.  I used a strip of scrap 0.030" aluminum on the back side to provide support and sandwich the mushroom material.  It's very solid and stable (more so than the suction mount) and holds the iPad in virtually the identical position.  I recommend this spot for a tablet on the CT, it's convenient but not in the way at all and doesn't block any instruments.  Pics:

1926800_10152200704078286_128516191_n.jp

1779118_10152200704018286_1581703410_n.j

Excellent! Use the suction solution and was wondering if a Ram ball would work on this very thin dashboard material: so the answer is now yes when using aluminum plate...

Thanks

You could probably get by with just some large diameter washers, but the larger the area, the more you spread out the force you will apply to the dashboard/mushroom wall.

I really thought the guideline was "permanence". IOW, clamping something on or attaching it with Velcro or a suction cup was fine.

But drilling and bolting and screwing things in did consist of a modification and had to be blessed by a Form 337, STC, or mechanic's field approval (if that's the right term).

Planes have been brought down by screws and bolts of the wrong length interfering with flight controls and linkages or shorting out electrical parts or the like.

I'm Experimental, so it no longer applies to me. But I'd be very careful making permanent attachments or modifications to a plane without some sort of blessing as articulated above.

But if someone has a source saying certain modifications like this can be made by an owner, I'd be happy to stand corrected.

Well, I was thinking "Experimental".

Andy seems a hands-on, tinkerin' sort of guy, and that's great.

But when modifying an S-LSA or Standard Category plane in any way, one must be careful.

The other option is the 120 hr LSR-M course. That would make all the maintenance Andy would like to do perfectly legal. But modifications would still have to be considered carefully.

I don't like to harp, but new members here should always be presented with the information to keep them legal and safe.

BTW, my Sky Arrow is down for its annual, which expired 2/28. Carbs are going to Roger for rebuild/inspection, but due to scheduling it will be a couple weeks before I have them back and ready to install. If anyone wants to stop by Copperhill, I'd love to get to fly in something else right now, as safety pilot or ballast or whatever.

Let me know!

Andy, I fly in South Texas where it is always windy and choppy. I now use the suction mount on the window and do well with it. When it falls I just put it back on. I like what you have done. Did you reinforce it somehow ?

Gary, I used a strip of scrap 0.030" thick aluminum exactly as Roger described. There is a "lip" that the instrument panel face attaches to, I think you want to be just behind that lip for best positioning. Mines a little too far away from it, I was too conservative to make sure I cleared the lip.

Is that a full size Ipad or the Mini? The ball mount on the Ipad holder seems to be near the side of the Ipad and not the center. Those sort of things mean we need to have the correct type of holder and the right length of the arm. Can you provide the part numbers so we don't make purchase mistakes while trying to reinvent the wheel? Thanks Andy

Archived