North Atlantic Transit

Mike Koerner

It says he ate 200 Mars bars over the 18 day trip.  I *love* Mars bars, but that seems excessive.  What is the point of surviving the trip only to immediately lapse into a diabetic coma?   ;)

Seems like a real adventure, but I don't know if I could do those long open water legs unless I knew rescue craft were poised to spring into action.  The North Atlantic is no joke, even with a dry suit on the survival time in that water is probably less than two hours.

Risk tolerance is a very personal thing.

I was OK getting paid to fly cropdusters to South America, but...

1) I flew along the island chain so as to keep my open water legs to the minimum.

2) For the most part it was along shipping lanes.

3) The water was a whole lot warmer, and...

4) Like I said, I was getting paid well to make the trip.

But I am not in any way condemning another man's weighing of risks.

Charles Lindbergh's flight could easily be viewed in much the same light, as could Amelia Earhart's.

More power to this guy - that trip took balls.

I'm with Eddie.  A lot of my non-flying friends ask me pretty much the same question about every flight I make.  Flying is inherently dangerous, at least more so that not flying.  :)

I think it's great that there are still flyers out there with the adventurous spirit to do things nobody has ever done before in an aircraft.  That fellow got a Brittania Aviation Trophy for doing something nobody else had ever done.  I'd love to have such a trophy, but I suspect I wouldn't have the intestinal fortitude to try something with that many unknowns. 

I used to skydive and I still drive a 200+ mph dragster.  I just don't see this flight as all that noteworthy.

It's all about what you love.  Most would not drive a 200mph dragster, but if you love cars then you might accept the risk.  This guy is clearly passionate about adventure flying.  I'd love to fly across Australia -- not particularly noteworthy, but parts of that flight would be dangerous.  It would be an adventure I'd accept the risks to take.

There is a fine line between adventure and insanity. :D

How did they cross the Pacific??

http://www.azimut270.ch/en/position.html

There were two of them, and they used extra tanks in the passenger side for the extended range, a practice used in a lot of aircraft when flying them over large distances (there's a special tickbox on form 337 for this on certificated aircraft).

Very funny,

I picked a CTSW over others due to its range, speed, handling and payload.  I live in the real world, I made dozens of posts countering the unrealistic claims like 20% more speed and power when injected.

The SW is not magic but it produces the best blend of performance, payload, range, room etc of the SLSA that are out there.  In 2006 I wanted a sexier looking low wing but opted for a tadpole with the capability that I needed.

I picked a CTSW over others due to its range, speed, handling and payload.  I live in the real world, I made dozens of posts countering the unrealistic claims like 20% more speed and power when injected.

The SW is not magic but it produces the best blend of performance, payload, range, room etc of the SLSA that are out there.  In 2006 I wanted a sexier looking low wing but opted for a tadpole with the capability that I needed.

I'm preaching to the choir but your did what (almost <_< ) all of us LSA owners did -- analyzed your mission and selected the aircraft that fit.

I went with the sexier low wing which matched all those attributes except payload.  Hard to beat the earlier CTSWs in useful load but my choice had all I needed.

It says he ate 200 Mars bars over the 18 day trip.  I *love* Mars bars, but that seems excessive.  What is the point of surviving the trip only to immediately lapse into a diabetic coma?   ;)

I wonder if he also had a bucket on board...  :P

Perhaps one thing you might like to consider on that side of the pond is just how small Britain is compared to the country in which you fly? Just as an example California is 1.9 times the area of the UK!

So, our flying, if we limit ourselves just to the UK is necessarily more limited than yours.

BUT, if we wish to go further afield then we have to fly over water - the shortest sea crossings we have are Dover to Calais at about 20 nm if you want to go to France, or Stranraer to Larne again about 20nm if going to Ireland. However both those routes may be inconvenient and from where I live in the North West of the UK (incidentally in the same town Bolton as the now famous Jon Hilton!) my route to Ireland is about 110 nm across the Irish sea (admittedly much of it only 5 to 10 miles off the North Wales coast), and to France I've done a number of routes the longest of which is about 125 nm over the western English channel from Exeter to Dinard in Brittany.

I think being dwellers on a small island maybe we have a slightly different mindset about travel & risk?

Archived