North Atlantic Transit

Mike Koerner

Having recently crossed the North Atlantic from Svalbard to Greenland  in a small but comfortable cruiseship  I even more admire the guts of those guys depending on their Little Rotax. Just want to call your attention to the website of my German Pilot  friend Harro Lorenz. He will forgive me calling him a "Northern Nut" having paddled hundreds of miles of the Yukon and some Sibirian river and flown over to Canada back in 2006 in his CT. Other flights took him to Iceland, Greenland, Svalbard and around Jan Mayen.

www.lornav.de

Loking forward to the Page Meeting  in October,

Anselm

I remember well when they stopped at my place.

see the trip here

http://www.flightdesign.com/index.php?page=home&n=34&y=2005

interestingly, Harro had some modifications on his CT

(

he had made a very fonctionnal shutter for the radiators...I should have taken a picture of it

and ....the only time I have seen this..he had a ''split throttle lever''
one for each carburator and a vacuum gauge (installed between the seats)  for each

here is a picture of his installation with the vacuum tubing on each carbs

long flights over water is a question of risk management and 'tolerance'  AND preparation

some guys can take more that others

post-112-0-05753800-1394248767_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting the info on this flight.  I read the flight diary in Jacques' link.  If anyone doubts the capability of the CTSW, ithey might take the time to read this flight diary.  No surprise that there is a good deal of luck involved with successfully completing a flight such as this.  Not so sure everyone would be fortunate enough to have a new propeller sent in 2 days while sitting out on an Arctic airport!

Archived