Garmin will NOT be left out...

FlyingMonkey

Team X is doing a great job, IMHO, addressing the LSA and EAB market. This just announced product is actually 10% less than the comparable Dynon. You don't get free map updates but they have $99 VFR subscription that is pretty reasonable. Their ADS-B solution also is a few hundred bucks cheaper than Dynon. I would think the Garmin package would have appeal to some LSA manufacturers since this would allow them to have an all-Garmin panel. Could resonate with potential buyers coming from the certified world where Dynon is an unknown.

I have both Dynon and Garmin equipment and have had positive experiences with both companies' customer support.

One thing to consider is that Team X was created as a separate development group with Garmin. I believe the core team are all pilots as well. Very different experience than what I term corporate Garmin.

I think it's a good thing to have two players pushing innovation in our space.

I think it's a good thing to have two players pushing innovation in our space.

Which is what is helping to keep garmin's prices in check. Yeah I know, they are a company (and so is Dynon) and exist solely to make fat stacks of cash, but it doesn't mean I have to like it :P.

We need more avionics players. Aspen is about the only real competitor to garmin in the certified glass cockpit world.

Just got a note from Dave Armando about what has been approved by FD for ADS-B. In my situation it will probably be the updating my Garmin GTX-330 to ES for the out side and the new Dynon box (don't recall the model off hand) for in. There is an LOA for it and it makes for a permanent install. I am not certain what the update for the transponder is, but the Dynon is about $1k. I will probably be looking at this next fall when my XM expires, if not sooner.

Just got a note from Dave Armando about what has been approved by FD for ADS-B. In my situation it will probably be the updating my Garmin GTX-330 to ES for the out side and the new Dynon box (don't recall the model off hand) for in. There is an LOA for it and it makes for a permanent install. I am not certain what the update for the transponder is, but the Dynon is about $1k. I will probably be looking at this next fall when my XM expires, if not sooner.

Is the Garmin box GDL-88?  I think that does all the ADS-B in and out heavy lifting, and the 330ES is just the transmitter on 1090MHz.  I think.  This stuff is complicated, with two frequencies, in/out, different requirements at different altitudes, blah blah blah.  

Doesn't sound like there's a new Garmin box in the approved mix other than the ES.  The Dynon box mentioned above is the functional equivalent to the GDL-39.  

Doug -- what position source are you going to use with the 300?

The Dynon unit is new - ADSB-470. It is the in unit and works in conjunction with the Skyview units.

My 696 provides position, so can the Skyview.

I have not talked to Garmin or Dynon yet to be certain everything will work well together.

As far as I know the Dynon box is the only one FD has approved.

Doug -- the 696 does not provide the right info to the 330 (confirmed with Garmin support and Garmin's team X).

The Dynon GPS does provide adequate, non-certified, output to their transponder.  Don't know if it can feed the 330.

The 330 is not a radio, it's only a transponder. You can remove the GTX 330 and install dynon's unit, and it will activate features in your skyview that your 330 may not already be providing, while still providing traffic to the 696. It's actually a lot less work than you think :P

If you have a garmin radio (and not a skyview radio), then you are still good. You don't need to touch the garmin radio unit.

The only thing I am curious about is if you can keep your current transponder antenna on the belly.

And replacing your 330 with the Dynon transponder is cost neutral when figuring in the market value of a used 330.

All you will be out is a bit of installation time.

Of course, this assumes FD has approved the Dynon transponder.

JUST called Dave. He said the dynon transponder should be approved, he remembers seeing one in an LS.

EDIT: http://flightdesignusa.com/how-to-buy/new-skyview-ctls/

Sky View Panel Features: [...]

Dynon SV-261 Class 1 Mode S –

Imbedded Transponder W/TIS Traffic uplink [...]

So yeah, the transponder with ADS-B out is approved. I don't see anything about the 470 ads-b in unit though, and dynon says it needs a separate antenna.

I edited my previous post, so have a quick look at it, doug.

The Dynon transponder is controlled by the Dynon Skyview. It's not panel mounted.

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/SkyView_XPNDR-26X.html

Also, here's the ADS-B in receiver: http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/SkyView_ADS-B.html . You don't need this if you don't want it.

You also must have a TSO WAAS GPS receiver (according to dynon). If you don't have one, dynon has one: http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/SkyView_GPS_Module.html

I had forgotten about the GPS receiver, so yeah that's the other thing you need :P.

So basically, to have ads-b out, remove the old GTX330, install the dynon 261, and the GPS receiver.

OR, just upgrade to the GTX 330 ES. You still won't get ADS-B in, you have to have a receiver for that. Still need a TSO WAAS GPS source though.

Doug -- I was bored today so I checked the Dynon manuals and you might be OK with your existing transponder.  From the Version 6.0 manual:

Added Garmin GTX 330ES transponder support for activating ADS-B traffic.

So you might just need to add the ES for $1200 then call it day.

I suggest you give Dynon a call to verify.

All of us will need a TSOed GPS to meet the 2020 mandate but this is not required beforehand.

Skyview does the additional calculations required to fill out the ADS-B data stream which can be fed to their transponder and, perhaps, to a GTX-330 ES (as per the June 2013 manual). It is probable these calcs are independent of the GPS which is why a 696 COULD be used. I've not asked Dynon.

Doug mentioned he was looking at the Dynon ADS-B receiver which would allow traffic and weather to be displayed on the Skyview.

Archived