Avilution changing to FlightPro

Ed Cesnalis

'Looks interesting.  Their previous version was a solid program. They don't mention pricing, yet, but it was cheap under the previous name.  One thing that made me drop the program before was a small, but important thing.  The developer would not consider using decoded weather!  I can't think of a program that doesn't provide decoded weather, including free ones.  It's a safety issue to me, as decoded weather communicates the information better.  I hope he's changed his mind and will offer decoded weather.

tim

Waiting to see what it means for the app. I have been using it for a couple of years and it keeps improving. Although I don't use it in the cockpit, it gives me everything I need for planning. It also provides a backup for the cockpit. A lot of features ADS-B, Nexrad, flight plan filing, etc., etc.

The other nice thing is that it operates on any number of Android devices. Everything works on both my phone and tablet flight routes are available on both.

Good stuff

Tim, I agree. I have raised the same issue and was told it would be added to the list for improvements. I use another app when I want decoded. (Aeroweather, which is also a great app. It gives great weather down to headwinds and crosswinds for each runway.)

It's not a big deal, but when you consider safety, it is a big deal.  Coded transmissions were a thing of a 100 years ago.  Think Teletype or earlier.  Transmission bandwidth was slow and memory was very limited.  So they came up with codes.  Admittedly a pain, but at least the information got through, kinda.  Today, with the bandwidth and memory limitations gone, there is no excuse for forcing people to use codes.  Codes, especially like the weird ones used in weather, introduce a greater chance of mis-communicating the information.  A possibly deadly thing. O wd u prfr it lk ths?  

Brevity, like what we use in radio communications, is different... and still done because of limited bandwidth on each frequency.

Tim

That was one of the things that surprised me as I entered the aviation world a couple off years ago - how anachronistic it is. I grew up around teletype and a small amount of telegraph as my father worked on the railroad. When he tried in the seventies he was dealing with microwave transmissions.

Somehow aviation got stuck.

That was one of the things that surprised me as I entered the aviation world a couple off years ago - how anachronistic it is. I grew up around teletype and a small amount of telegraph as my father worked on the railroad. When he tried in the seventies he was dealing with microwave transmissions.

Somehow aviation got stuck.

Lawyers. That's why.

The 1980's marked a number of lawsuits that tore piper aircraft to the ground, and cessna had stopped production of small aircraft as a result of a lawsuit brought on them. In addition, rising certification costs have basically made R&D almost non-existent. Most of the costs of an aircraft (something to the tune of 60% of a new 172) are for lawsuit preparation.

Until we can reform tort and put a stop to awarding 10 million dollars for a bruised arm, it's only going to continue to progress very slowly, if at all, and remain very expensive.

Yes, I have been rewarded for the class action lawsuits I didn't even know I was a part of. (Not aviation related.)

The latest was $5.63 at Amazon for a settlement with publishers who were evidently overcharging for e-books.

That was a legitimate lawsuit, they were price fixing.

Don't see the safety issue as plain language translation are available at both Duat and duats (and other free sights) nor do I see liability.

Have no idea why most tablet software vendors don't set this flag to true upon request, though, it's very simple to do.

Archived