Cowling Removal/Re-attachment

paul m

Just took the cowling off my CT for the first time by myself.  Wow, the actual removal and reattachment of it is quite painful.  Wish they just had clamps.  What are the tricks you guys are using?  Is there a certain order to follow in unscrewing/screwing to make both steps easier?  If anyone has a video of the removal process and then the re-attachment process I would be so grateful.    

I have started leaving the middle and the two corners on the top viewing for last, then the middle and each corner. I try to lift it straight up from the front.

The bottom is a PITA. Disconnect the landing light, then I go down each side. The bottom ones can be difficult. I don't have any ideas about how to remove it without simply, carefully, wrestling with it to clear the air intake and the exhaust.

Some are easy and some are hard and sometimes it is a little finesse. LS models are harder than SW's and SW cam locks don't fall out of the cowl.

They shouldn't fall out of the cowl on LS models either. If they do, replace the retaining washer.

Another thing to try is to take a dremmel and carefully clean out excess epoxy inside the retainer.  A little epoxy sometimes flows into the female part of the fastener during construction and can cause the male fastener to catch and not want to release.

The very early CTLS's had cowling fasteners that were not retained. That changed sometime in the middle of 2008.

When the cowlings are new they fit tight and are harder to get off. Everyone who has spoken up here are talking about airplnes before the CTLSi. A couple things I've found that helps. I start at the rear corners of the cowling. With the fastener undone twist and pull to remove it from the socket. Work your way forward, and sometimes a little pressure placed on the lower cowl right below the fastener helps. After you get them loose work up from the corner. Now do the same on the other side. For the bottom cowling I would need to look at how things are done. but remember that the cowling fasteners must be removed from the sockets and not catching on anything for it to come off.

Thanks Tom,

So to recap for top cowling:

1) Start at lower right corner (facing prop)

2) Move along lower right cowling until you get to prop. (pushing in on lower cowling if it helps)

3) Then back to right corner and move up along windshield to top middle

4) Then to lower left corner

5) Along cowling to prop

6) back to left corner and along windshield until done

remove fastener completely from hole before moving to next one?

To replace, reverse the order or start with corners again?

Thanks Tom,

So to recap for top cowling:

1) Start at lower right corner (facing prop)

2) Move along lower right cowling until you get to prop. (pushing in on lower cowling if it helps)

3) Then back to right corner and move up along windshield to top middle

4) Then to lower left corner

5) Along cowling to prop

6) back to left corner and along windshield until done

remove fastener completely from hole before moving to next one?

To replace, reverse the order or start with corners again?

It doesn't make any difference which side you start on, you just need to get both sides loose. Be careful about flexing the cowling to much or you will crack the finish. Always, and I mean always lift straight up with the cowling and don't drag the corner across the windshield.

Archived