Admit defeat - Garmin 696 Gizmo removal

CT4ME

OK.  I've tried, and tried.  Called the Gizmo people.  And asked people with similar setups.  But I admit defeat.  I can't figure out how to remove my Garmin 696 from the AirGizmo dock!

I've rotated the knurled wheel to the right of the 696, and it causes the 696 to rotate forward about 25 degrees.  Then, I'm supposed to "lift it out".  But that is where I'm stymied.  Lift UP?  Straight out?  Mine seems to kinda hang and I don't want to break anything.  I can just see the cable connectors on the left top side, and nothing on the right side that could be holding it in.  Could the cables be otherwise bound-up inside?  Should I take the panel on either side off and check the cables to make sure they aren't bound in some way?

Who's got this setup?

Thanks,

tim

Tim, as I recall, my 496 connections go thru a small opening in the Air Gizmo.  As Anticept says, the wires can catch on the opening. The opening in the Air Gizmo is on the RH side for 496.  If the 696 opening for the 696 is similar, I'd say to just remove the RH panel to be able to look inside to see what's hanging up.  Tip:  Once the panel is off, support this with a bungee cord draped over the overhead bar and thru a couple of the screw holes in the panel.  This takes the strain off the wires connected to panel instruments and frees up both hands.

I have the same setup....696 in a Gizmo.  Mine does the same thing.  If you grab the 696 at the top and pull straight back it will come out.  I try not to do it very often because it's a hard pull and it sounds like it wants to break when it comes out, but so far it hasn't broke.  I posted online a while back to see if anyone else had this problem and I got several replies that this is "normal".  Good Luck.

Hi Tim,

You should have called. It is a little burr on the back of the hook on the GPS that doesn't quite clear the rod that it hooks on. I usually sand or grind these down then they come right out without any issues. It only takes a few minutes.

Archived