Dynon SV 10.0

Dan Kent

I know you FD folk are a ways away from this release of Skyview, but I wanted to give my impressions of it.  I loaded this version this past Sunday and went flying for nearly 2 hours.  I also have the Seattle Avionics subscription, so I loaded the sectional for Texas.

I use the simplified autopilot, so there are only 2 choices, ground track, or gps track.  In this version they allow you to set the maximum bank angle for the autopilot.  This feature was available in earlier versions, they then removed it and set the max angle to 30 degrees, but several folks complained that this was too steep for their passengers, so they put the feature back in.

I set mine to 18 degrees (about a standard turn at 110 kts) and set the autopilot, hit the 180 degree turn button and it seemed to work perfectly - definitely less bank than 30%.

They have a 10 nm scale on the gps extending out from the nose of the plane along your route.

One of the features that I really like is the vertical speed arc on the GPS screen.  This indicates where you'll be at the altitude that you have set for either climbing or descending.  It will be very useful to plan descents to get below class C or B shelves, or for folks in mountaineous areas to climb over obstacles.

Lastly, I tried the sectionals.  I had spotted a small city ahead of me and rather than opeing up ForeFlight to see what city it was, I just hit one (or two) button on the map screen and the sectional popped up.  By turning the knob you can zoom in or out.  Very nice.

There are many other features, but these 4 were of the most interest to me.  One of the features that I don't think I'll use and want to turn it off (I need to explore the menu system to see if I can), is called vertical speed to destination.  It is a horizontal magenta line on the vertical speed indicator that might be of great use for IFR pilots, but I think the vertical speed arc will be more useful to me.

Hey Dave,

No I won't be upgrading to the touchscreen.  I don't reallly see a need to, and am not sure if I was ordering today I would go touchscreen.  With dual screens, you have 4 knobs to navigate 3-5 ongoing activities (setting baro,heading, altitude, database lookup).

Also the menu system is only about 3 deep at it deepest.

I will have to admit that I don't fully appreciate touchscreen functionality.

I forgot a couple of other cool features - with ADS-B the tail number is now displayed of another ASD-B equipped plane.  I saw one on Sunday.  Also with ADS-B winds aloft is now available.  It's part of the weather portion of a location, so you can look up DFW and get the winds aloft there (or nearest to there).

• 2 weeks later...

One more observation - with 10.0 you can now have sectionals display (layers, vfr, and the sectional pops up).  The only problem with this is that you need to buy an annual subscription from Seattle Avionics for these plus airport diagrams and plates.  Many people that bought this subscription are having issues, including myself.  It is very frustrating, as their customer service is poor, and you cannot speak to anyone on the phone, they just say send in an email.

Dynon is aware of this and just posted some helpful info on their forum to try and help SA suscribers out. 

One more observation - with 10.0 you can now have sectionals display (layers, vfr, and the sectional pops up).  The only problem with this is that you need to buy an annual subscription from Seattle Avionics for these plus airport diagrams and plates.  Many people that bought this subscription are having issues, including myself.  It is very frustrating, as their customer service is poor, and you cannot speak to anyone on the phone, they just say send in an email.

Dynon is aware of this and just posted some helpful info on their forum to try and help SA suscribers out. 

Dan,

With 10.0 and no subscription, does it work similar to 7.0 or 6.1?

Duane,

I'm not quite sure I understand your question.  Without a subscription you can't download the airport diagrams, plates, or sectionals onto a memory stick, which you have in the USB drive for the screen that you wish to access this data (I have a dual screen setup and have the drive on my map screen only, if I wanted to access the data on both screens, I would need 2 USB drives).  Without the USB drive inserted the diagrams and sectionals aren't available, so yes in this regard, it would act like 6.2 or 7.0.

The other features I mentioned early are additions from v7.0 to v10.0.

BTW I still haven't been able to get the 3 April updates downloaded properly.  I think I may have fixed my problem yesterday, but won't get to the airport until this Friday to see if SV can access the data.

Duane,

I'm not quite sure I understand your question.  Without a subscription you can't download the airport diagrams, plates, or sectionals onto a memory stick, which you have in the USB drive for the screen that you wish to access this data (I have a dual screen setup and have the drive on my map screen only, if I wanted to access the data on both screens, I would need 2 USB drives).  Without the USB drive inserted the diagrams and sectionals aren't available, so yes in this regard, it would act like 6.2 or 7.0.

The other features I mentioned early are additions from v7.0 to v10.0.

BTW I still haven't been able to get the 3 April updates downloaded properly.  I think I may have fixed my problem yesterday, but won't get to the airport until this Friday to see if SV can access the data.

Thanks Dan.  You answered my question.  With a CTLSi you are required to use Flight Design's updates to Dynon.  Their latest, 6.2, has some troublesome restrictions to Dynon's operating system that limit some of the great features.  I was exploring the possibility of switching back to Dynon's software but Flight Design says that is not possible. 

Archived