SL40 Squelch problem

FlyingMonkey

Hey all...

I have a Garmin SL30 comm radio, and the squelch function seems to be busted.  Normally when you pull the volume knob out and then turn it, it should adjust squelch...when I do that on mine, the volume just goes up and down as if I had not pulled the knob out.  My first guess is to tighten the tiny allen set screw in the knob, which I will try next time I'm at the hangar.  Is there anything else I can try before getting an avionics shop involved?

I thought that was how the squelch worked also. It isn't. I would need to look it up, but I know the squelch us set via a function in the menu, or the intercom. Other well respond quicker than I can find it.

When I assumed that add a student I went NORDO in the class D pattern until I realized what was going on and pushed the knob back in. A bit embarrassing.

The squelch can only be adjusted by going into the menu, pulling the volume knob merely opens the squelch.

The squelch adjustment is in the setup mode. To get to setup mode you press the <=> (flip-flop button) and "sys" buttons while turning the unit on. Then turn the large selector knob the the "Com RF Squelch" page. The small knob adjusts the setting. The directions for doing this are in the installation manual not the operator's manual.

Ah...seems stupid to put "PULL - SQUELCH" right above the knob and have that NOT be the way it works. Thanks Garmin!

So quickly adjusting squelch is out of the question, if you have to go into the menu to do it? Also not smart design.

Thanks guys.

Pull squelch means to turn off the squelch and hear all comms.

If you intend to adjust the radio receiver squelch, you have to change the settings in the config menu.

I assume in your original post, you meant to put SL40. Here is a manual. Page 11 has some config stuff in it.

http://www.westaviationclub.be/documenten/VL_3_SL40Comm_UserGuide.pdf#page14

I too find it crap how that is set up, but a PM3000 intercom could be put in and solve it. They are vastly superior anyways to just an SL40 setup.

• 1 month later...

Any thoughts about stuck mike.Followed the book and turned off the radio a dozen times per book .seems like it could be a ground problem flying through rain .Finally just started pushing talk switch repeatedly on rt and left stick and that did the trick but wonder about a repeat and would like to understand the possible explanation and solution.thnx

Archived