Quick Mexico Beach Fix this weekend

CT4ME

Going to San Felipe, Mexico, with the Baja Bush Pilots for the weekend.  20+ planes.  San Felipe is just 150 miles south of Mexicali, so it's a quick hop from San Diego or Phoenix, and is a good quick beach trip, or a great first trip to Mexico kinda place.  Just a nice, small, laid-back beach town.  It gets real crazy there when the Baja Off-Road Race uses the town as stopping point.

Here's our spot track.  Going down friday morning (thru Yuma).  Coming back Sunday morning, thru Yuma again (but we have to stop there for customs).

Tim

'Love to have a wingman for some trips South! 2,3,4 hours to another World...

37-13 north side

Hangar across from me has a 100-hour rv12 for $80k. Guy built it but is retiring from flying, bought a motor home.

Tim

Jealous, it looks beautiful.

Have any of your crew ever been stopped or harassed by the CBP or other law enforcement when flying back into the USA?

You have to stop at a port of entry on the way back. They are generally nice and quick. Once in a while you'll get someone with a bit of attitude, mostly taking their job too seriously. But nothing like the random stops that have been happening. Usually in/out in 10 minutes.

Stopping in Yuma is fun... 4 runways and mixing it up with harriers, chinooks, and a variety of other flying military stuff.

Private license needed, but Sport with a medical may do it.  Radio license not needed.  If your insurance policy states Mexico as a covered territory, then no extra insurance is needed.  Most policies and insurance people are not up to speed.  Even my policy, which is perfectly good in Mexico, gives a warning that extra insurance MAY be needed.  A few years ago, the Mexican gov't wanted the policy to be written on a Mexican company, but that is no longer the case.

We had several people from Marana on this trip!  Tucson, too.

PS.  Fastest Customs stop in Yuma, ever!  The Agent walked out to our aircraft, asked a couple of questions, looked at our Passports, Pilot license, and medical....  and said we were good to go!  We didn't even get out of the plane.

Private license needed, but Sport with a medical may do it.

I'm curious...are there any Sport Pilots out there who have bothered to get a medical?  It seems like all that can do is hurt you (it can be revoked or denied, killing your flying career) and doesn't buy you anything, *except* the ability to fly in Mexico.

Very good points.  Someone needs to spearhead a campaign with Mexico/Canada for a reciprocal agreement for Sport Pilots.  Or at least allow sport pilots from US to fly there.  The FAA isn't going to do it.  Maybe LAMA?   

Archived