First Real Cross Country

FlyingMonkey

Hey all...

I am planning to fly my first *real* long cross country flight a week from today.  I'll be flying my CTSW from my home field, KWDR, to Sebring Florida (KSEF) to have Lockwood Aviation perform my annual and install an autopilot.  The total distance is 410nm and the flight time at 110 knots about 3:45.  I will be alone in the airplane, and am intending to carry full fuel.  With my travel bag and the autopilot parts I have to bring down with me, the airplane should be about 60-100lb under maximum gross weight.

The route of flight will be KWDR -> KGIF -> KSEF.  The reason I am not flying a direct course is that bending the line a little to the west keeps me out of the Orlando Class B and let's me approach KSEF from the west, making it easier to stay out of the restricted airspace that is just a like or two to the east of the airport.  

Because 60-80nm of the trip will be over the Okefenokee swamp, and I only have a 121.5MHz ELT, I purchased a 406MHz/GPS PLB to take on this trip.  If I go down in the swamp, hopefully the SAR folks will find me before the gators.  :)   I'm also planning to fly at 7500ft to give myself more options in the event of a problem.

The plan is to leave as soon as the sun comes up to avoid winds and turbulence as much as possible, which should get me to KSEF by about 11am.  I will be watching the weather all around the route like a hawk, and will postpone if it's not favorable.  I will also have notes with divert airports along the flight path that I can use in the event of trouble (or if my bladder doesn't make it for four hours). 

Have I missed anything?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything sounds good.  I take a survival bag any time I'm crossing the mountains.  Light sleeping bag, tarps for makeshift tent, matches, power bars, water, knife/saw, cord, handheld gps and and handheld com.

What's your planned airspeed?

Everything sounds good.  I take a survival bag any time I'm crossing the mountains.  Light sleeping bag, tarps for makeshift tent, matches, power bars, water, knife/saw, cord, handheld gps and and handheld com.

What's your planned airspeed?

Yeah I have a little survival kit.  I will cruise between 5000-5200rpm.  I should see 112-115 knots ground speed, but flight planning for 110.  My last long flight at 7500ft and 5200rpm showed 96kt indicated, 116kt ground speed.

Sounds like he;'s planning 110kts, for that length of flight and altitude I would be 123kts.  I recommend this its only ~75% power @ WOT

I don't have enough experience yet with longer flights above 5000ft, so I'm just being conservative.  Faster would be better of course!  :)

I have 75ft of 550 paracord in my kit.  It will serve to lower me down if needed.  Not ideal, but much lighter than a real climbing rope.

I fly over Allegator alley , in the Everglades swamp , on my way to Miami. Frankly, have not had a problem and it does not really bother me.

Cheers

There is , also, another FD service center at KLAL." Wild Air" at Lakeland, If you want to save a few miles, next time. Tad is now at Lockwood. They are a dealership and Service Center for Tecnam. Don't know why their dealership, business arrangement with FD ended. Tad is now a Tecnam employee, but he sure has a lot of expertice on CT's.

Cheers.

There is , also, another FD service center at KLAL." Wild Air" at Lakeland, If you want to save a few miles, next time. Tad is now at Lockwood. They are a dealership and Service Center for Tecnam. Don't know why their dealership, business arrangement with FD ended. Tad is now a Tecnam employee, but he sure has a lot of expertice on CT's.

Cheers.

I spoke with Wild Air, but decided to go with Lockwood.  I have spoken to Tad on the phone before, he seems like a great guy.

Andy -- when I Foreflight'ed your route at 7500' I came up with closer to 5 hours including climb. That's a long time to plan on being in a light aircraft for your first longer trip. I'd suggest planning a stop around the 2.5 hr mark and skipping it if you're feeling fine. 5 hours at 7500' for a flatlander may fatigue you more than expected.

See my post on flight plans on SPT. I'd suggest filing one since you never know if you'll get flight following. They could also decide to drop you right before the swamp. Additionally, I'd give a position report right before the swamp.

Not really a good way to go around the swamp between GA and FL, unless I fly WAY out of my way and go to the coast.

Stay within glide distance of roads then. The idea is that you do not want to be stranded in the middle of a swamp. It is EXTREMELY difficult for rescue services to get to you, even if they knew exactly where you are. The amount of diseases in swamp water is also very bad, and minor cuts can get infected easily. I'd take the alaska wilderness over a swamp.

I spoke with Wild Air, but decided to go with Lockwood.  I have spoken to Tad on the phone before, he seems like a great guy.

He is a great guy, I met him at the Wild Air hangar, when he used to work with Randy there. They have both worked on my CTLS. Wild Air took over Tad's non Tecnam service clients in the area.

Cheers

I would go KWDR - MCN - VNA - IFM - OTK - CTY - KSEF  It's 422.7 NM.  There is no reason to fly over the swamp.  Of course, it's not a problem if you don't go down in it.  I would plan a fuel stop/bathroom break half-way.  As far as altitude, I would fly 3.5, 5.5, 7.5, or 9.5 depending on the winds that day.

That's not a bad route, and I like that there are more airports available along the way...I might do that.

Andy -- when I Foreflight'ed your route at 7500' I came up with closer to 5 hours including climb. That's a long time to plan on being in a light aircraft for your first longer trip. I'd suggest planning a stop around the 2.5 hr mark and skipping it if you're feeling fine. 5 hours at 7500' for a flatlander may fatigue you more than expected.

See my post on flight plans on SPT. I'd suggest filing one since you never know if you'll get flight following. They could also decide to drop you right before the swamp. Additionally, I'd give a position report right before the swamp.

Yeah, with climb out it probably is longer.  I definitely was going to plan stops along the way and then just skip them if I don't need them.

It's looking like I might take I'm Gone's advice and take a more populated route.

KGIF , which is on your way has MOGAS, in case you are running low, it also has a restaurant. KBOW on your right is class D so you can transition, class D or Fly around it towards KGIF. KLAL also has a restaurant but no Mogas, that is where I'm based at.

Cheers

Archived