What is this loud whistling noise above 100 kts?

A whistling noise has developed in my '07 CTsw over the past few months whenever I go above about 105 kts.  It sounds kind of like a banjo string vibrating in the wind. The noise varies somewhat with changes in angle of attack.  Anyone had this problem?  Damaged gap tape around the wings was suggested as a cause but the tape looks to be intact - slightly sunken in, but no holes through it.  I checked for something that might be rubbing or chafing the inside of the cowling but found nothing. I even removed the tie-wraps around the air filter and added a few extra tie-wraps to secure wiring that might vibrate - but no help.

Somehow I don't think that's it - but of course I'll check.  Whistling is probably the wrong word to describe the sound.  It's more of a high frequency vibration, like something barely touching against a running motor.  However the frequency doesn't seem to correspond with engine RPM, but stays constant with only the loudness varying with airspeed.

The tape does not need any real holes. It may have a crack on the leading edge area that opens with air pressure. Instead of driving yourself insane just replace the tape. it only takes about 20 min. for both sides. Apply it from the trailing edge and all the way underneath to the flap bracket. Then add a second layer on the leading edge about 8" back on both top and bottom. All my tape on the wings and stab will last two years without any issues. I see lots of split leading edge wing tape when they only have a single layer.

I bet then the noise stops.

Archived