Bisbee AZ to Buffalo NY this weekend

Eric, you are repeating most of the path taken when New Tribes missionary ferried my plane up from Bisbee.  I just got back from FDUSA in Connecticut.  Flew my CTSW there from Michigan.  You've probable been over Pennsylvania.  The rugged and remote terrain going thru the Allegany mountain area of this state amazed me.  Good to have a PLB when going over areas like this.

The rugged and remote terrain going thru the Allegany mountain area of this state amazed me.  Good to have a PLB when going over areas like this.

Routing along Interstates is also an option - the median is often an option (look out for power lines!) but regardless rescue should be able to get pretty close to you and you're likely to be seen in an emergency descent.

And small doglegs make very little difference in trip time if kept reasonable.

Looks like you won't be so far from Tom Baker, a nice man to visit if you get a chance. If you get a little further north, up around Iowa City, give me a shout and I'll pick you up and show you around. In any event, if you have any issues enroute don't hesitate to get in touch.

And small doglegs make very little difference in trip time if kept reasonable.

I was surprised to find out how little difference they make.  I made a pretty big dogleg on my trip to Florida, bending the flight path vs. direct by something like 30nm, and the difference in time ended up being something like 4 minutes. 

I was surprised to find out how little difference they make.  I made a pretty big dogleg on my trip to Florida, bending the flight path vs. direct by something like 30nm, and the difference in time ended up being something like 4 minutes.

Ain't geometry great with great circle routes :)

Recently I had trip planned from Dallas to Memphis. Good weather at each end point but rain and low clouds in-between. I re-routed to essentially go due east until around 50nm west of the Mississippi, the turned north and followed the ricer into Memphis. Maybe cost me 10 mins.

You may also find that a longer course is quicker due to the wind direction.

Makes trip planning fun.

Looks like you won't be so far from Tom Baker, a nice man to visit if you get a chance. If you get a little further north, up around Iowa City, give me a shout and I'll pick you up and show you around. In any event, if you have any issues enroute don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks Jim!  We made it St. Louis today and hope to make Buffalo by tomorrow afternoon. 

'Been following you... hopefully you are OK at Big Spring.  The track stops short of there, and no crumbs for 40 minutes.  I see there are severe thunderstorms in the area.

Tim

Thanks for looking out for us Tim!  Sorry I missed your call, had the phone off in the plane.

Hi Eric, Cheryl,

Job well done and once again thank you so much for the great instructions we received in Bisbee!

We are now back in Chicago and flying near downtown...

You guys helped my anxiety of flight as we gained confidence!

Btw - we are practicing 0@70 & 15@60, sea level & SW is a bit quicker and we are making the adjustment necessary to hit those numbers correctly.

We hope to see you guys again....

Hello Roger!

Sorry I mean to say 0@70 down wind, then drop to 15@60 at the end of runway and stay with that until flare.

Sorry we couldn't see you this time, we just few today and it was beautiful afternoon!

Please say hello to Dawn!

Lil & Taka

Archived