ELT Batteries

Roger Lee

Hi Guys,

During my maint. inspections I see a number of aircraft that have Duracell batteries that are getting old. Duracell's newer expiration date is March 2016 and has been for almost a year. So if your batteries say March 2013 they are already three years old. I would personally toss batteries that are two years old. Some toss them every year. Take them out and use them in a flashlight and put the new ones in the ELT. They cost about $15 for a pack of 8 and you only need 6.

Hi Guys,

During my maint. inspections I see a number of aircraft that have Duracell batteries that are getting old. Duracell's newer expiration date is March 2016 and has been for almost a year. So if your batteries say March 2013 they are already three years old. I would personally toss batteries that are two years old. Some toss them every year. Take them out and use them in a flashlight and put the new ones in the ELT. They cost about $15 for a pack of 8 and you only need 6.

Hey Roger,

Agree. I bought my SW used and missing stuff. Where would the portable antenna be stashed? And I don't see the 'Clamp' whatever that is/does. Also, if I plugged in my old Mic and had it on could I hear myself talk through my HH ICOM nearby?

I guess the being of the older out moded 121.5 variety its fairly useless..unless someone within range is monitoring 121.5. Also, the new 406 w/o GPS for 7-900 dollars is OK but to have the latest and Greatest drop in would be How Much do you think? And does it have the portable capability with Mic? Have never heard if the Mic concept was a goodone since I think only one MFG offered it.

Oh, do you or anyone you know generally monitor 121.5 or is that idea usually overlooked. I don't.

R6

Hi Doug,

Not many monitor 121.5 anymore, but it is done and the airliners can pick it up. It still works it would just be a little while before help arrived. That is why I bought a Spot 2 Tracker. If the ELT antenna isn't attached to the ELT then maybe he stored it in one of the floor wells or threw it in a bag with some of the paperwork? I have hionestly never tried to talk on one. Some one will answer this question so keep your eyes peeled.

Hey Roger,

Agree. I bought my SW used and missing stuff. Where would the portable antenna be stashed? And I don't see the 'Clamp' whatever that is/does. Also, if I plugged in my old Mic and had it on could I hear myself talk through my HH ICOM nearby?

I guess the being of the older out moded 121.5 variety its fairly useless..unless someone within range is monitoring 121.5. Also, the new 406 w/o GPS for 7-900 dollars is OK but to have the latest and Greatest drop in would be How Much do you think? And does it have the portable capability with Mic? Have never heard if the Mic concept was a goodone since I think only one MFG offered it.

Oh, do you or anyone you know generally monitor 121.5 or is that idea usually overlooked. I don't.

R6

Hi Roger. My friends and I were talking about purchasing a 406 PLB. A while ago, you got a good deal on the SPOT PLB. Do you have any of these on hand and if so, run the cost by me again and also what the cost is to opt for the tracking feature.

What do you hear regarding the FCC dictating to the FAA that we must go to 406 ELT's?

Thanks.

Dick

Hi Dick,

You know as much as me on the FCC verses FAA debate on the 406. My guess and it is only a guess is that this is going to happen, the FAA will talk the FCC in a bigger grace period so as not to ground a few thousand aircraft. But who knows what's in their minds. It's the goverment they don't even know what's in their minds. :lol:

I do have special pricing on the Spot 2 Trackers, but you will need to call me for it. Sorry, but I have to do it this way. 520-574-1080 in Tucson, AZ. I'll tell you why when you call.

p.s.

Hi All,

I also have door lift openers. Call for that info too please.

Archived