Lawsuit is over!

CT4ME

I consider guys like DB to be "lawsuit terrorists".  They throw the "lawsuit bomb" out there and hope it blows up and rains money on them.  Glad to see the legal system worked and shut down his bomb making facility.  A local FBO here in Michigan was involved with his Flight Design lawsuit and they're breathing easier now.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who took his post down? Admin, if this stands I will assume that political comments are a part of this forum and I am very passionate about a few issues.

This person has been the bane of this forum, being coddled by admin while others with intelligent, relevant, comments have been banned. It is enough, he does not belong here!

Finally, after a year and a half... the "factual" for the accident.  'pretty weak, but what do you expect when the pilot is uncooperative... I get the feeling they didn't like having to communicate through a lawyer.

I'm guessing probable cause will include pilot's choice to take off with too little fuel, and poor fuel management with gavity fed tanks.

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20130903X23635&ntsbno=WPR13LA396&akey=1

"the pilot's attorney stated that during the flight the pilot encountered strong westerly headwinds, and was having trouble with bright sun in his eyes, and as a result he experienced difficulty reading the instruments, especially the fuel gauge."

Really your honor...because of the sun in my eyes I couldn't read the sight tube that indicated inadequate fuel for the flight before I took off.

:blink: 

"the pilot's attorney stated that during the flight the pilot encountered strong westerly headwinds, and was having trouble with bright sun in his eyes, and as a result he experienced difficulty reading the instruments, especially the fuel gauge."

Really your honor...because of the sun in my eyes I couldn't read the sight tube that indicated inadequate fuel for the flight before I took off.

:blink: 

Trust the site tube and you will suffer.  The ONLY way to know how much fuel you have is to DIP THE TANKS before each flight.

Trust the site tube and you will suffer.  The ONLY way to know how much fuel you have is to DIP THE TANKS before each flight.

I have seen different people dip the tanks and come up with numbers that were quite a ways off. Between the 2 tanks it amounted to one hours worth of fuel miscalculation.

At least with the site tubes if you see fuel you have fuel, even if you don't know exactly how much is there.

From the guy who never uses the sight gauges and his main tanks dry, saved only by his header tank...

How do you know how much fuel is in your tanks once you lift off?  Sight tubes are more reliable than gauges, BTW.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think a few years back, Charlie Tango once said, "if your sight tubes can see fuel . . . so can your engine."

I have never forgotten that and it is absolutely true.

Only a complete moron would ignore the sight tubes.

I love my sight tubes until they become dark with auto-gas stain then I hate them until I get new ones again.

Concur CT.  When they get dark, I use a flashlight on them.  That works pretty good until they're changed out.

Wince and 100 Hamburger,

Your post have been edited.

This is getting very tiresome for admins and other members. We're tired of getting constant complaints.

If you don't like someone quit responding to them.... AND 100 stop bashing others choices in aircraft and personal flying habits.

CEASE AND DESIST!

No system is perfect!   :D

I am not critical of the sight tubes per se.  I am just pointing out they are calibrated but not accurate.  Some may look at them and assume they have what the tubes indicate in regard to fuel quantity.  My experience has taught me that dipping the tanks is the only sure way to know how much fuel is in the wings. 

I spot a major flaw in someone's thinking.

Unless there's a way to dip the tanks in flight, dipping the tanks only gives a historical snapshot of how much fuel was in the tank at a particular point in time.

Given vagaries in fuel consumption in general, or the possibility of a leak anywhere in the fuel system, not sure how dipping the tanks hours ago helps a pilot in flight all that much.

As an aside, I appreciate the elegance and simplicity of sight tubes, though I only have flown a couple of aircraft with them.

I am not critical of the sight tubes per se.  I am just pointing out they are calibrated but not accurate.  Some may look at them and assume they have what the tubes indicate in regard to fuel quantity.  My experience has taught me that dipping the tanks is the only sure way to know how much fuel is in the wings. 

If you fly in the western USA, in a CT where airports are far apart then you are well served to think in terms of hours instead of gallons and to increase your reserve fuel to 2 hours.  I count hours and the sight tubes work pretty well for that up to 4 hours.  If I need more than 4 hours I usually fill the tanks.

As an aside, I owned a BMW R100GS/PD with a 9 gal tank and no fuel gauge.

I plumbed a clear hose to serve as a sight tube:

17040595420_56ac2284e8_z.jpg

As others have seen, it could be hard to see auto fuel in the tube, especially as the fuel line yellowed.

My solution was to put a small "float" in the line - you may be able to see it right above the "RESERVE" placard. The white piece of foam (cut from an old BING float, BTW), was much easier to spot.

Is something like that an option on the CT?

I am not critical of the sight tubes per se.  I am just pointing out they are calibrated but not accurate.  

I agree they are not "I have X gallons of fuel" accurate.  But more importantly, they *are* "I have enough to continue my flight as planned" accurate.

I usually don't need to know that I have fuel down to how many gallons.  More often I need to see that fuel is approximately where I expect it to be and I'm not getting any nasty surprises.

The fuel sloshing in the tubes move around quite a bit in anything except dead calm.  If it's sloshing in both tubes to the point that it goes from half fuel to  empty and back, then I probably have 5 gallons per side or so and should start thinking about landing.

The tubes are the only fuel management device that I have on my airplane, and I have never felt like it was inadequate or not accurate enough.  I do wish I had a fuel flow meter so I could better track exact fuel burns, but that problem is easily solved by carrying more fuel than the flight demands.

The Dynon Skyviews has a fuel computer function and provides realtime fuel burn during flight.  After dipping the tanks the qty can be entered as the initial fuel qty and it will compute fuel remaining based on burn. 

I dip the tanks and enter the fuel qty into the fuel computer before any long range trip (50nm or more). 

For local flying of short duration, I simply note the fuel quantity before flying and add fuel to the top when I get down to about 10 gallons left (though there is still a little more in the header tank).

I don't like stale gas, so I plan that refueling before coming to the airport and pickup just the amount needed in the transfer tank.  That way I don't have any (or very little) sitting in the transfer tank.

Archived