2,000' AGL exception

Ed Cesnalis

When you break a rule in favor of safety its should be called an emergency.  In most cases where the sport pilot altitude limit is at issue we are talking about convenience not safety.

Nothing about this rule enhances my safety.  Limiting altitude both MSL and AGL only limits margins that enhance safety.

"Nothing about this rule enhances my safety. Limiting altitude both MSL and AGL only limits margins that enhance safety."

The that leaves you only two choices. Don't go there and stay away or break the rule for your safety.

I tend to drive faster than the speed limit and so do many, but not many are so worried that they stop in fear of the law.

More cops on your 6 o'clock on the ground than than in the air. :)

Which rules do we follow and which rules do we ignore?  See the problem?

If you don't want to be restricted by the 10k msl or 2k agl whichever is higher rule, then avoid terrain that makes you feel unsafe.

Sport Pilots are also restricted from night flying, sometimes that can be a burden.  Same goes with weather, scud running, and flying too near clouds.  Lots of ways to be 'hindered' by the rules.

Who are you really?   :D

I agree completely

Which rules do we follow and which rules do we ignore?  See the problem?

If you don't want to be restricted by the 10k msl or 2k agl whichever is higher rule, then avoid terrain that makes you feel unsafe.

Sport Pilots are also restricted from night flying, sometimes that can be a burden.  Same goes with weather, scud running, and flying too near clouds.  Lots of ways to be 'hindered' by the rules.

I fly in the evenings a lot, if some unforeseen weather/wind causes me to divert, and it gets dark out.... I will gladly break that rule to land at a safer airport. The same way I would break the altitude rule if safety called for it. We use common sense / hopefully good judgement to handle the situation at hand regardless of these rules. I'm not saying that magically makes bending/breaking a rule 'ok', but if it gets the job done safely it just might happen.

Of course we all do our best to fly safely without breaking the rules.... but some of these.....  limitations like the altitude thing may not always get their way. Other rules I would have trouble finding an argument to not follow them in the name of safety. Obviously the rules are created with safety in mind, and most of them do just that, though the FAA isn't perfect.

If the 3rd class medical removal goes through for PPL, I will probably "upgrade". I don't have any medical issues, but that much less hassle (not saying it's really THAT much of a hassle).. but that would be enough to push me to do it I think. Just because I wouldn't mind being able to rent a 172, or fligh at night occasionally. Though a light sport plane (especially experimental) still fits me and the mission much better.

Archived